Need info about tow aways

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by philv, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Chasingthesky

Chasingthesky Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Lol no worries, I jumped the gun on the other side of the debate. All's fair in love, war and bs regulations

brian991219 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Yup, and I am a stickler about putting out correct information, there is so much false info floating around that I get angry when someone is given bad advice, and I am not always quick at recognizing an honest mistake. I spent the last 10 years building a small compliance consultant company so I get a bit touchy. My reputation is about all I have left, so I would hate to give out bad info.

Anyway, have a great night, I am logging out and laying down, 05:30 comes early.

Chasingthesky Thanks this.
  4. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Yes I see that it clarifies only the vehicle driven is exempt. I too, stand corrected.

brian991219 Thanks this.
  5. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    I know from a couple of experiences pulling a few trailers and campers using my power unit is I had to use my logs for the entire trip. How do I know? DOT pulled me into the scale for a Level 1 and after the obligatory creds he wanted the BOL for the camper and to see my logs. Since I was hauling it with my truck not on a trailer I was told in some states and in NC SC GA and TN pulling a camper is the same as pulling a trailer with freight or autos. So yes a log sheet is needed.
    Another tip if I may add is a lot of RV Camper transport companies require you to use their transporter tags at a cost varying from $50 to $100 if your gonna decide to pull campers (tow aways) you may want to invest in your own. I pay a whopping $36.00 a year for two plates issued by the state of NC and they can go any vehicle or camper/trailer i chose because they are registered and insured under my company. Also read the fine print on some of these RV places like Indiana Transport and Horizon, there are a lot of rules they want you to comply with and I have seen and talked to a few drivers that wish they never started with them because one wrong move YES ONE WRONG MOVE and they will suspend your contract. I wish you all the best luck, hopefully you can find some direct customers and not rely on Brokers.
    Thanks Brian for the invite. Wish ya was going to the MATS hopefully next year you will be a speaker there

brian991219 Thanks this.
  6. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    The new company I work for has booth space at MATS, wish I was there but the powers that be decided I didn't need to be there. Maybe next year. Stop by the Worldwide Equipment Sales booth if you get thru and say hi, if Pat is there tell him you know me it will blow his mind! We have booths 68180, 91200, and 91250

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  7. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Will Do Brian

8. RVTransporter

RVTransporter Light Load Member

May 26, 2012
    Goshen, Indiana
    RV campers are exempt under the FAST act. They made a big mess out of the whole thing. That's the government for you.
    https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/fastact/rulemakings
    Section 5507
    Title Electronic Logging Device Requirements
    PROVISION DESCRIPTION:
    Permits a motor carrier, when transporting a motor home or recreation vehicle trailer within the definition of the term ‘driveaway - towaway operation’ to use either paper records of duty status forms or electronic logging devices to record hours of service status.

Also read this http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=1&ty=HTML&h=L&mc=true&=PART&n=pt49.5.395#se49.5.395_18

§395.8 Driver's record of duty status.

(iii)(A) A motor carrier may require a driver to record the driver's duty status manually in accordance with this section, rather than require the use of an ELD, if the driver is operating a commercial motor vehicle:

(1) In a manner requiring completion of a record of duty status on not more than 8 days within any 30-day period;

(2) In a driveaway-towaway operation in which the vehicle being driven is part of the shipment being delivered;

(3) In a driveaway-towaway operation in which the vehicle being transported is a motor home or a recreation vehicle trailer; or

(4) That was manufactured before model year 2000, as reflected in the vehicle identification number as shown on the vehicle's registration.

Chasingthesky and brian991219 Thank this.
  9. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Well I will be danged, I learned something new today. Nice catch, I have read those regulations a hundred times and feel like an idiot. I'm supposed to be an expert, even have an article coming out next month in a national trade magazine about ELD's. Heck, I'm about to sign a contract to market a beautiful device and I never noticed sub (3) nor the reference from the FAST Act.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Reason for edit: To clarify and correct my post
    Bean Jr. and RVTransporter Thank this.
  10. RVTransporter

RVTransporter Light Load Member

May 26, 2012
    Goshen, Indiana
    You can lead a horse to water...

11. brian991219

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Another thought, it would be nice if the FMCSA updated their handout material to reflect the FAST Act guidance, that is where I took the short interpretation from.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.