Need info on container work.

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by Tim_1326, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Tim_1326

Tim_1326 Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Hi bought a 2007 Internationa 9400i pre DPF truck. Cash ..... I live 30 miles South of Columbus Ohio. Looking for home everyday that's why I'm looking at intermodal work. There's a lot of companies & I've looked online & read a ton of blogs & post about container work. Roadone, & Container Port Group , & xpo are some I've looked up. Really can't get a answer on rates tho... Pay per mile. What is average for leasing truck onto company? Is there Miles? Do you typically drive out like 250-300 miles or is it mostly really short runs? Most pay for empty miles? & tire blowouts on chassis. Driver really pays for that?? Even with a proper pre trip tired give out on the road..kind of fsc rate is there right now?.. My guess is around .20/mile ...here's truck I bought. I've since put quarter fenders on it. I had someone tell me look into Continuum .. Never heard of them till that. I looked at there website & looks like it's a 1 million non trucking insurance they require.

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Nice truck, but I thought buying it was one of the last things you get done, and a business plan is the second thing. Right after you save the seed money.

4. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    How long have you been driving?

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  5. Tim_1326

Sep 29, 2015
    I got a hell of a deal on it. No payment. I have a good LTL company job now. Initial plan was to put a driver in it & lease it on to my current employers truckload side. 100% owner operator. Put ads up, craigslist, fb. Got a few calls but it's hard to find someone qualified enough Most job hop every few months. & to answer your question I've been driving since 2006. 10 yrs this October. Been at current job just over 6 yrs now. It's a super solid clean truck. & i could always sell it & make a little $$ on it, but I'm definitely giving up on finding a driver. I hear people saying u can make close to 2500 week after fuel with intermodal work. True?, idk. Must be money or people wouldn't do it.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  6. Tim_1326

Sep 29, 2015
    So what rate per mile outta rail yards leased on somewhere can I expect 1.15 plus fsc? Or less? Lol

7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I just saw when you joined here so great to kinda know what you are getting into!

8. Tim_1326

Sep 29, 2015
    Yeh joined September 2015. Just normaly read & don't post much lol. A lot of knowledge on here. Container side tho is mostly east coast ports I'm finding. Not much on rail side. & some post are several years old I saw Roadone advertise 1.17/mile plus fsc but didbt exactly say all miles. so empty miles pay is prolly where they get u.

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  9. 7seriestv

7seriestv Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2016
    You can clear $2500/ week after expenses. Xpo don't have the best rate but they have a lot of work and good accounts that are 24 hrs. I usually run for a company that got buy out by Xpo and I was clearing $2500 easy home every night and off on weekends. A lot of container companies pay by the load. You can call the company you are interested in and ask for a rate sheet

Dominick253 Thanks this.
  10. Tim_1326

Sep 29, 2015
    Thx so much!!! So I've read a bunch of blogs & hear don't get paid by load. Why?... & do most have discounts like on tires?,,, shops for repairs? & can u run like 200+ miles 1 way & then back or are most runs short? Thx!

11. 7seriestv

7seriestv Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Some companies still pay by the load, some pay percentage and some pay miles. Right now I'm running percentage (65%). Every container company I've been to when the dispatch give you a load he/she will tell you the load pay $x amount of dollars. You run how you want to run. I know drivers with xpo in Virginia that run container to California. I'm not with the company xpo buy any more. I run out of Florida now and some drivers here go to Missouri, texas, Oklahoma etc. I choose not to once in a while I go to Virginia. I like pulling container because I'm home a lot more and anywhere I go I come right back, don't have to sit out on the road wondering where I'm going to end up next. Most companies you get the load rate, if it's over weight you get pay for that and if it's reefer you get pay for that, your money adds up, sometimes you can pull a container out or turn one in for a driver and you get pay for that. You get detention pay and if you have had mat you get pay for that also. The biggest thing with container is trying to make the port by the cut off date

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.