Need Info on Trip Leasing

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by tjb-tbt, Feb 28, 2011.

1. tjb-tbt

tjb-tbt Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2011
    Crest Hill, Illinois
    is it legal to run two door signs from 2 different companies at one time ?
    that's called trip leasing right? How exactly does that work?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Eagle_Eye

Eagle_Eye Medium Load Member

Sep 26, 2010
    ClarksvilleTennesse
    While trip Leasing is legal. I do believe the paractice requires you to cover 1 of the 2 names and DOT numbers. No 2 DOT numbers can be displayed at sametime.

4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Trip leasing is more a paper situation than ID names on your vehicle. "Joe Schmoe trucking" does a trip lease from "XYZ express". Your papers verify this, you don't need to put "XYZ express" on your vehicle.

5. JIM SCHREEDER

JIM SCHREEDER Bobtail Member

Apr 15, 2011
    What are the requirements for the leasor to trip lease a vehicle for transporting additional load

6. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    I disagree. By trip leasing,you are no longer operating under Joe Schmoe's authority. You are now operating under XYZ's authority and insurance. If you get stopped by the DOT,they will tell you XYZ's Dot No. has to be covered up.

7. Prairie Boy

Prairie Boy Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Edmonton, AB
    You can buy Trip Lease Forms by the case from J.J. Keller. It's just a paperwork affair.

8. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    It's more than a paperwork deal. If you have an accident and you don't have your permanent carriers signs covered up and the Co. you are trip leased to signs on and if the DOT figures out what you are doing,they will write you up and more than likely fine you. Further more,if you are at fault in the accident and someone is injured and sues,their attorney can go after the permanent carrier because you did not cover up their signs. Chances are your permanent carrier would cancel your lease. Then when you try to lease on another carrier and use your old carrier as a reference,Good Luck. As long as nothing happens you are fine. If it does you will be wishing you had put the Trip Lease signs on. In the old days i did what you are saying all the time. I've got way too much to lose today. My carrier would cut me loose in a heart beat,if i got caught. Then when i apply at a new carrier what do i tell them i've been doing for the last 10yr's?

9. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    In a lawsuit, a good lawyer could find out that you were trip-leasing, and would go after the permanent lease company.

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  10. The New Girl

The New Girl Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2012
    I just searched JJ Keller's site and couldn't find one unfortunately.
    I stumbled upon this thread doing research, maybe ya'll can help me. If you have your own Authority but not Broker Authority & you suddenly have a truck go down or overbook can't you trip lease just that one load to another driver/company with his own authority?

11. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Alot of leases say they are not 'exclusive' but then go on to say that you need to turn in your signs b/4 working for another carrier.

Back at the first trucker I worked for, we carried 5 different bills of lading and had magnetic signs for the other carriers But that was back when my company drivers were in 1968 Brockway 361's and they could keep the extra signs stuck to the interior under the back window...We ran double copy logbooks and would send a weeks copies in with the trip lease...we were hauling gasoline and fuel oil and I would write the trip leases up after the fact and fudge a few 'off duty' logs to make the HOS jive...I could have cashed all the paychecks the way I signed the off duty logs...

That was back in 1977 and the local DOT guy used to stop in and we how the boss was doing and never looked at the logs...The Good Old days!

The owner ended up in jail by the mid 90's...nice 'Honest' trucker...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.