Need new king pins

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by icewithak, May 22, 2019.

1. icewithak

icewithak Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Woodbury, N.J.
    I own a 2014 Peterbilt 384 that is in need of new king pins. What are the best type of king pin kits to replace them with? Also I am located in south Jersey any body know any good Axle mechanics around?

Thanks Tom

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve been told they Axle Surgeons have a very good king Pin Kit. If you are going to need axle work anyway, best to let them do the whole Job. Otherwise the Shop will call Axle Surgeons in and mark up Labor, costing more total $$. I’ve heard the “ reamless type aren’t as good as Original type. A lot of Shops like to use reamless type, easier Job for them, same price for You. YouTube video by Easyrider shows a good detailed proper way of doing Kingpins. Including reaming new ones for exact fit. And proper shimming. If done sloppy they won’t last. I’ve seen that happen more than once. Need a Shop that knows what they’re doing. I’ve heard $1300 total cost is fair. Shop around

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  4. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Considering king pins cost 200-300 and labor involved - i dont think 1300 fair deal ... Probably 700.. or less , i did mine 4 years ago on the truck i sold and remember arguing with the shop overcharging me 75$ on the parts cost

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    ...as rideandrepair mentioned ....reaming is super important , if not done by the right person - will redo it in less than a year

6. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
    6 years and your king pins are shot?
    They use to last 10 years or more for line haul trucks.

7. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I think that was only on the roads that were paved then for those trucks......and haven't been paved since.

Cam Roberts and Intothesunset Thank this.
  8. icewithak

icewithak Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Woodbury, N.J.
    I spoke with a axle surgeon tech yesterday and all he does is the machine work, boring for liners to spec if needed, not sure if I'll need that done or not. Thanks for the reply

9. icewithak

icewithak Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Woodbury, N.J.
    Will started running local almost two years ago, not sure if that a contributing factor or not but also I found out about the same time I started running local that the shops that were greasing my king pins where not doing it properly. So I am pretty that that may have something to do with the premature wear.

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  10. icewithak

icewithak Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Woodbury, N.J.
    Ya road conditions suck and they definitely work the hell out of the front end.

11. icewithak

icewithak Bobtail Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Woodbury, N.J.
    When I contacted Axle Surgeons in Ohio, I was certain that they would do the whole job, but I guess it all depends on your location. Will for now I am going to get a Spicer King pin kit and look for a front end shop.
    Thanks for the replies

Goodysnap and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.