Need opinion

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Big_Matt, Dec 2, 2008.

1. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Just bumping this back up for the original poster.....I kind of hope he rolls back through with questions...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big_Matt

Big_Matt Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    What happened with you? Were they mistakes you made or the economy? People will tell you not to get into trucking but wont go into details. Shoot me a PM if you like.

4. walleye

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    The economy kicked my tail,...A couple of my customers closed their doors,...the rest slowed way down......As the economy got worse there was a handful of carriers cutting rates to below operating costs.....

At the end I was hauling exclusively for a small auction....It would have been a good deal,..but there volume fell off and I had to hang things up......

I hung on way to long trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat,......

It is a hard industry to get into and rates are being cut something terrible,..There is a company from south texas..(mexican drivers)..hauling some of the local stuff up here now,..I don't see how they can afford to run for under 2.00 mile,....but they do...

If you have good freight,...go for it.....But I would skip the one ton with a wedge and buy a bigger truck,...Your going to need volume to make it work..

5. Big_Matt

Big_Matt Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    Is that whay you tried to get was $2.00 a mile? The guy my wife dispatched for said he wanted to get .50 a mile.
    The only reason I was gong to do a 1k was to be around the last 2 years my kids are here before college. After that I was going to go to the other truck.
    I dont have to stick with auto's but that is what I know the most about.
    Thanks for your advice, I will take all I can get.
    Matt

6. walleye

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    The $2.00 and less is what those clowns were getting for a truckload,....WAY TO CHEEP......If he is talkin .50 cents per mile per car,.I think that is cheap cut rate crap for a rate,..but that is just my line of thinking.....I didn't get into it to run for nothing........

You will have to have the same 1 million dollar liability insurance on a 1 ton as you would a 10 car,......1 tons get tore up running cars, The maintaince isn't much cheaper compared to a 10 car,....

7. 7mouths2feed

7mouths2feed "Family Man"

Nov 29, 2007
    Jacksonville, AR
    Just spoke to an owner today that has 5 car haulers just sitting. Lost all his contracts. Also Centurion let go all IC's. cars are a real poor choice right now.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  8. Big "A"

Big "A" Light Load Member

Nov 29, 2007
    White Bluff,Tn
    Got a frend that hauls cars he's wanting to get into what i am hauling cause car hauling is to slow.

9. Big_Matt

Big_Matt Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    What is it that you do? I am not stuck on auto's, it's just what I know more about.

10. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Jan 29, 2008
    norcal
    Owning and operating a truck is not a part time job, it will take over your life.

walleye Thanks this.
  11. Lil Blue Pony

Lil Blue Pony Brown Eyed Girl

Feb 22, 2008
    REALLY......so that's why I feel like I gotta grab a gear when I set down to the computer and change threads on here.....lol.......when my kids where in grade school we had a secret word that was used in case I sent someone to pick them up.........Freighliner.......yea it sorta takes over your life but I have not made a coffee table out of an aluminum wheel yet! but I have seen one........:biggrin_25525:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.