Need Practice on Manual Transmission

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Tdawg, May 23, 2019.

1. Tdawg

Tdawg Bobtail Member

May 23, 2019
    I am in kind of a unique situation. I completed a carrier school and obtained my license on a 10-speed manual transmission. Besides the school, the carrier now has 100% automated transmissions, so I have no experience on a manual besides the three week school and getting my license. I have been driving for 2 1/2 years, and at some point, I would like to move to something like a tanker hazmat position, but am concerned about lacking experience on the manual. Any suggestions on how I can get some time in on my time off to practice on the manual to get the feel back? Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    You could rent a bobtail tractor for $1,000/ hr. or just go for it. I don't see what the problem is, you've handled 10 speeds before. Like riding a bike, it comes right back.

Dan.S and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some tanker companies have automatic transmissions, so that may not be a hindrance for you.
    Where is your location; maybe can give you some suggestions and places to contact.
    This food grade may use automatics, not sure:
    Click here > Indian River Transport Company
    Trucks:
    • Indian River Transport runs a late model tractor fleet consisting of 600 Peterbilt tractors.
    • All trucks are furnished with refrigerators and premier interior packages, over 70-inch sleepers.
    • All tractors are assigned and are less than 36 months old.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Tanker companies, I work for one, are also moving to all auto fleets. I think manual skills were something that could be helpful a few years ago. Today, it's like Morse Code. It's possible you could use it one day, but it's hard really see it. IMO. I've been in autos for the last 3-5 years. I don't miss throwing the stick. I'd be perfectly happy to simply have an auto with a manual mode for tanker since there is a situation where the surge and the tranny trying to get max MPG hunt for a gear on a steep hill. I used to think manual skill was something to keep. I don't think about it any more. I think it may keep alive in specialty driving like off-road, heavy-haul, hauling trees/lumber after it's been cut. FWIW

6. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Rent from who? Are you saying you know of a company that rents out trucks for someone to beat up per hour like renting a jetski?

7. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's a few places in Texas that do and have to Google for other places.
    Here's a YouTube on that:

CDL Truck Rental Texas Call (469) 332-7188

austinmike Thanks this.
  8. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    thats that big boooobed girl with company that is well known that scammed alot of people. you should google them. they are pretty well known and have automatics only. Plus tht wuld be silly to drive to texas for that. You shouldnt promote that company bro.

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'm not promoting the company. I couldn't care less where someone goes to get practice. I also said there's other places for that service; probably every state.

201 and austinmike Thank this.
  10. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    post them then. there arent any tht rents truck on hourly basis to beeat up truck for an hour and destroy trans on manual. Only cdl schools and refresher courses. just sayin

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    What I mean is, there's plenty of places in each state where a driver can practice for a few hours, for cash, and refresh on a manual.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.