Need some advice from the tanker vets in here.......

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by superpet39, Feb 26, 2013.

1. pawpaw1

pawpaw1 Medium Load Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Dallas,Ga.
    K. My two cents. There are many tanking jobs , that don't require you haul haz-mat. Many are food grade. Lots of tankers in Tx. haul water. In Ca. , how about milk ? Just for example.
    Might try to ease into it. You have to lay a foundation, before you can build a skyscraper.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. seawind

seawind Medium Load Member

May 8, 2009
    West Tennessee
    Believe it or not, you can get some great experience working for SNBC (Schneider National Bulk Carriers). They get a lot of harder, BS loads. You work harder than most other tank companies, but you really know your stuff when you leave there. I was there from 1998 - 2000. (The reason I left was because the insurance advisers told them they could save money on insurance. Big mistake. I and over 1,000 other drivers left within 3 months time. They cut our coverage and raised rates).

A lot has changed since then for the better. It's a good place to start.

4. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    Little update: apparently my math was a tad off, I'll have my CDL back on jan 6,got a little down: so I went and got my twic card to try and get my spirits back up lol...(yes I know it's worthless to me for the next 7 months)

I plan on flying down to texas on the jan 13, to "kick the tires" so to speak. Going to be filling applications out/ knocking on doors for about 3 days straight. Find out what these potential employers want. (Trying to get a job in texas over the Internet, from what I read isn't going to cut it)

If they say I need to do a refresher, I'll at that point decide if going back to my old job for 6 months (driving job for a moving company) would suffice for them: (plus im sure it has to be easier to get hired when a person IS employed, compared to one that is not)

if not, I'll contact Schneider and either FFE, or Stevens (the only tanker training schools I know of in texas, and I just want something/anything to compare Schneider to) if prime was in texas, they'd actually be my first choice, but since I wanna haul water in the oil fields, prime isn't an option.

im really leaning towards just calling Schneider when the time comes, because like I said before, I'm concerned that teaching myself how to drive- instead of going to an actual school, coupled with the fact that I have ALMOST no OTR EX. (Just 3 visits to So Cal, that didn't even require a fuel stop since I fueled up before I left our yard) leaves me to believe that I have a TON to learn that you OTR guys/ gals that went to a school already know.

Like I've said on many occasions: TTR is a WEALTH of info- just gotta look for it. Thanks kindly for all the feedback (good,bad, and critical) its greatly appreciated.

5. superpet39

superpet39 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Bay Area California
    I might also add, if I go down there and find out that the ability to work tons of overtime is gone, ( i HAVE read on here that the "boom"/ lack of tanker drivers is essentially over) I'll seriously consider trying to go to prime for tanker training then just come back to CA and find a tanker job (as opposed to relocating to texas)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.