Need some advice

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by d1rtysouth36, Jan 19, 2011.

1. d1rtysouth36

d1rtysouth36 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Jupiter, Florida
    Yeah I agree, but what is REALLY holding me back is my age, very few companies hire at 21, it looks better at 22, once im 23 i have alot more options to choose from, another factor is where I live, not very many compaies hire out of florida eather, and my significant other wont move out of state so I have to work with what I have here, hopefully SOMEONE will let me get back on the road again and prove that I have learned from my mistakes.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigrigjones

bigrigjones Light Load Member

Dec 18, 2010
    southern cali
    Tom Leykis: "women kill dreams"

4. d1rtysouth36

d1rtysouth36 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Jupiter, Florida
    lol, nah not quite, im sure i will find a company willing to hire where im at, after all, us express did

5. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Well technically stuff like stuck in the mud is an accident. You didn't get a ticket or points for that did you? Some of your mishaps maybe explainable. Maybe shoot for the mom and pop smaller companies. The are a little more lenient. Good luck to you.

6. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Try Windy Hill, they are out of Fl. and are pretty forgivable.

7. Rerun8963

Rerun8963 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ova-hereee
    yes, you are screwed

no, things stay on your DAC for at the very minimum of 7 years, and up to 10...there is NO DAC cleaning company....

yes, EVERYONE makes mistakes....but you say "old timers" when they were YOUR age..do you realize time has changed things since then..?? if so, then you cannot compare what the "old timers did" and got away with....rules, regulations costs have all changed....

was a wrecker called out to pull you out...?? if so, then it IS a preventable accident as YOU COST the company money..

i think a local gig will be best for you, but DO NOT FORGET, you MUST list accidents in the "accident sections" of the job applications...the new employers WILL CALL to verify that information..

again, i think you are screwed....you learned the hard way about carelessness as far as i can see. and let's be honest, you were careless...

8. weirdpuckett

weirdpuckett Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Here is exactly what I would do Dirtysouth . ..Go get hired on at Sygma working on a truck as a HELPER . . You will make about 700 bucks a week and NOT drive the truck-only help unload it..They have a center in Orlando,Fl (still I hope) that way you can just wait out your license infractions and already have a few years at the company and will hire you as a driver when they say you are cleared!
    Of course if you want also, you could work with a moving company as a lumper until these things clear as well. at least you'll still be near to the trucking industry and will stay informed of changes etc. and be in good with the hire personell.

Of course you will work your ##$ Off unloading those trucks but ou can do it! Yer young man!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
    123456 Thanks this.
  9. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    That is an excellant idea.

10. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    That doesn't sound like an accident to me. I might have called a wrecker on my own, or get a friend to pull it out, not letting USX know.
    There are jobs out there, try some smaller companies, or manufacturers that run their own trucks.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  11. x#1

x#1 Road Train Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Cherokee County, Alabama
    Although I have never driven for a large outfit,I have been in the right place at the right time and been able to land a job over the decades. Keep plugging away and that stick-to it-tiveness may just pay off especially if you keep checking w/ALL the carriers that you would enjoy(keyword there as you have to portray that you will enjoy driving for whomever) on a frequent basis. That was when job hopping was the norm however.I'd move on to drive a faster/ bigger truck back then.

The recruiter or whomever does the hiring at big carriers,might just decide to give you a break and then you could continue your career.

Personally,I'd stick to the smaller outfits(checking often) and away from the DAC utilizing mega carriers and you'll probably drive a truck and not have every move you make monitored and not have electronic logs, no qualcom,no vorad,no automatics,no weeks away from the house,no running way less than the posted speed limit and all that good stuff that drivers seem to enjoy being employed by the large outfits.

Best of luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.