Need some driver advise...

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by svtreactor, Jan 21, 2023.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    How much per week and how many weeks for a 2018 Cascadia?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. svtreactor

svtreactor Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Not sure yet, those are automatic DD13 old NFI trucks, typically Owner op's don't like the super single tires etc

4. Driver-John-Doe

Driver-John-Doe Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2023
    Just out of curiosity...why do you want to replicate what Pride is doing? What is your motives behind all this? What do you gain by doing all this?

5. svtreactor

Nov 28, 2013
    Growth and moving company truck drivers over to owner operator positions

6. Driver-John-Doe

Jan 17, 2023
    So you are doing this because you care about other drivers and would like to give them opportunities to become owner operators without exploiting them since you know that happens in the industry?

7. svtreactor

Nov 28, 2013
    Yes - I'm doing this purely for the driver, no intentions to grow my business and feed my family.

*picking out lambo as I type this message*

Joepoe85 Thanks this.
  8. Driver-John-Doe

Jan 17, 2023
    I meant my statement separate from the obvious. I was curious to see how much of your heart was "also" in it to give other folks an opportunity that anyone in the industry for a while should be able to clearly see is difficult to come by. I often wonder why other drivers who are successful don't take that initiative to help more folks out knowing how much they are being taking advantage of for people that are only interested in growing their own business and feeding their own family only. Obviously I made a mistake in my assessment based on your response. Thanks for the info. Perhaps you will take advantage of new drivers too following Pride's model in doubling the "training mileage" required to move on, so you can exploit a cheap labor pool and call team driving "training" too.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    gokiddogo Thanks this.
  9. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    interesting?

Yeah maybe I'm not the only one following that plan but here is the thing - for those who are, we care about the drivers.

People think there are these large margins but hell in a great year I am looking at 11% average. The last two years I have taken a serious hit to keep the drivers working. I bet other small fleet owners don't do what I do or consider say 11% being acceptable.

It comes down this fact, I can't charge more than what I paid for a truck for a driver to help them move to being an O/O, I'm in it for the driver more than myself.

The truck is the easiest part of the move, there is an education process, I try hard to make sure the drivers are equipped to run it like a business so those who are take me up on the offer are not going into it blindly like most of these companies like Prime does, they have access to all the info, load boards and the tools I have.

My point exactly.
    Why copy it?

You have drivers who be in business without hand holding?

azheavyduty, skallagrime and gokiddogo Thank this.
  10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    This is a good point and made me recall a conversation I had with another driver on with the red and yellow peterbilts with reefers out of iowa (can't remember the name). He was doing a lease purchase deal, at the time said thru his company he is buying the truck for $40,000 less than he could otherwise on his own - part of why he made the deal.

If someone could buy a truck for $1 and sell it for $2 why would that person ever want to be in the business of actual trucking? And then go on to add that asset can now only haul under their authority? That is a huge rip off.

There is a cost to replace an employee, it is often better to keep the ones you have rather than give them more reasons to seek greener pastures. Sometimes means you have to make a little less than you hoped. Drivers need a decent and fair place to work just as much as the business needs a decent driver to operate their equipment as representatives of the company.

Mnmover99 and Driver-John-Doe Thank this.
  11. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Its okay @Ridgeline, he'll be along shortly to tell you youre a troll lacking any buisness sense that you dont double your money every other year and that you will always be a company driver with your attitude... or at least thats his opinion of me :p

Crude Truckin' and gokiddogo Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.