need some help/advice

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by splitminded, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    The button hook maneuver won't get it done. The rear needs to be way wide to start.

Mikeeee

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ralph

ralph Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2009
    At The Key Board
    WHO said anything about a "button hook"?

Apparently your skills are really lacking so I have brought the paragraph forward and I'll disect it for you.

"Now to reality">this means this is how the real trucking world works

"Many times you have to perform maneuvers that are outside the rule/play book of the carrier">seems self explanatory to me

"You have to ensure that it can be done safely and that you don't get busted!>In other words, if you have to go outside the play/rule book to get the job done, do so BUT do so safely and don't get caught.

This all seems pretty basic to me>to some maybe not.

4. -insert name-

-insert name- ATM squishier

Jul 12, 2012
    SOMEWHERE
    ^ is right.
    I have to break the rules all the time, since I can't have everything I need, they need storage boxes on these trailers.

5. nicholas_jordan

nicholas_jordan Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    temple texas
    splitminded you will note for record - at my request - that this Thread is generating traffic & will be lots of it ~ we have another situation that is generational of greater actual risk, that of the dispatcher pushing beyond reasonable limits with the not as experienced under the decision ..... i am surprised there is no cussin, only dis-cussin but like many things in life substantial facts go un-noticed and completely off the thoughts of most

There is four to ten times as much damage to property & life from Traffic than there is from the "robbery" stuff you hear about every night ~ we may expect that few will call for 30-90 days bustin geology at the County Work Farm for Parking Violations

go foul up someone's hose to the amount of a standard traffic accident and that may change

are you really splitminded or is that just a good screen-name for your self-image?

6. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    Yes. I am sorry for my post. Rereading your post I agree with what you said. I did misread it.

Then when you referred to your second paragraph... I read someone Else's second paragraph!!! DUH!

I blame it on the adult lemonade. Not an excuse, just a possible reason...

Mikeeee

7. splitminded

splitminded Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2012
    Part 2:

Went to safety meeting. Explained how the situation happened. Added a chargeable to my DAC? I am completely new to this.. No citation was issued. Should I fight this? Thanks again for all the feedback..

8. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    No citation may have been issued but the insurance companies may have found you to be at fault. No matter what an accident is usually the fault of one or the other drivers, sometimes both. You have to really watch it out there. There are so many dumb@$$ on the road and they will take advantage of any space you leave open for them. Get an in accident and its your fault. If a car cuts you off and nails the brakes and you hit them its your fault! About the only time it won't be your fault is if they run into the back of you and even then they still may find you at fault for something.

Another thing to keep in mind is that people make a living crashing! Especially into trucking companies that have millions of dollars! Accident lawyers love trucking companies because there is more money it in for them!

Well, lesson learned. You are lucky as a new driver though they didn't fire you. I'm not saying that with blame on my breath, just surprised they kept you employed especially having charged your DAC. Usually they just kick you to the curb and get another piece of meat for the seat! Where was your trainer when this was happening? Has he discussed with you the importance of tracking your tandems and watching your turns? You can swing as wide as you want as far as the cab of the truck just don't let those tandems get to far away from the curb. Another very important thing to remember is pedestrians. You must really watch them too. They will #### near walk right up under your trailer! They don't realize that your trailer will track over as you turn and they sometimes keep proceeding to walk off the curb to dash across the street as soon as you pass. So be weary of this too. Practice now because in the winter those curbs and sidewalks will be covered with snow and you will be doing this blindy a lot of the times. There could very well be a car under one of those snow banks!

Like I said man, lesson learned (it was just the hard way). Thanks the stars above you are still employed cause you never would have gotten rehired anywhere! I used to say these words to my wife every single day when we were over the road...."Slow down and pay attention!". Try it yourself. Its very easy to let safety go by the wayside out there especially when you are tired, stressed, sick, in a hurry etc... Stop and remember what happened while you were in training!

So you just used up your only "get out of jail free card"! Going to be a long time before you can renew that card!

Good luck man!

9. splitminded

splitminded Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2012
    The trainer was sitting on the bottom bunk between the seats. Nobody else will hire me now?

10. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    You will definitely have a hard time finding another driving job so make sure you stick it out for awhile at your current company! At least until you have some good experience. Nobody in their right mind is going to hire a brand new driver who had a preventable accident while in training!

So stay where you are at and keep your record clean!

11. ralph

ralph Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2009
    At The Key Board
    Screw DAC>
    There is nothing on your DAC until your leave "The BIg Blue Screw" so quit worrying about it. Go and find a job and admit to the accident and tell your new/prospective employer that you weren't charged by the police. Having a copy of the accident investigation would be handy also. Your new employer will pull your DAC and find ZERO and you have the job.
    Quit worrying about your DAC, prove that you learned from it and move on. There's life after a mega fleet.

GMCTtrucks Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.