Need tips on how to best setup everything for optimal performance

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Dadetrucking305, May 19, 2022.

1. Dadetrucking305

Dadetrucking305 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    Truck is an international 9900I with metal mirror brackets.Antenna is a Wilson 2000 with an Astatic coax.Currently have a President Walker II that I like and have verified 8 miles at least talking to a base station but I can’t get more power out of it without an amp and I can’t make contact on skip like I could when I had a Galaxy 929.I ordered a Stryker 447HP and want an optimal setup.First thing I’m going to do is run power directly from the battery with an inline fuse (how many amps?) and a ground to chassis to minimize electrical noise.What else do y’all suggest I can do to get the best performance possible without getting to crazy? Also my swr is at 1 on channel 1,40,19 but that’s with the President’s SWR meter.Should I get an external meter or is the Stryker one good enough?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Just a few things that may help. Not sure why you said you get out farther with the Galaxy 929 vs the President Walker. Both radios should be running the legal 4 watts, unless the Galaxy had the final upgraded to a Mosfet final. I assume this test was made with the same truck and antenna system. The key to a good radio system is mainly two things... The antenna system itself (coax,antenna,mounts, RF ground, etc.), and of course band condition. Speaking of coax, you said you are using Astatic coax. Most Astatic products today aren't built as well as they were many years ago, and I assume their coax isn't any better. I tried to find some info on the coax specs, but didn't find anything, which makes me think they don't want people to know. When it comes to coax, you want at least 95-97% shielding, and the center conductor needs to be stranded. Bouncing around on rough roads will break the single center solid core conductor that cheaper coaxes use. You ordered a Stryker 447HP radio, just to let you know, the 10 meter export radios have a lot of IMD (which is commonly known as splatter) as a stock radio. Many guys spend even more money having them converted and hopefully aligned properly. This isn't a put down, just FYI. As far as SWR readings, most swr meters in these cb radios aren't very reliable, especially Cobra radios. You need to use an external SWR meter, and better yet, spend the $$'s on an antenna analyzer, they are a very valuable tool and cheaper than most export radios. Something like the Rig Expert AA-35 or AA-55 Zoom, very well worth the money, and it sure takes the guess work out of adjusting the antenna. Your on the right track with the bonding. A rule of thumb is to use 1/2 to 3/4 inch flat braided grounds straps, no longer than 10 inches long. Hope this helps.

4. Dadetrucking305

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    The Galaxy 929 was on a different truck and I believe had a factory MOSFET Final and was peaked and tuned.Here’s the link to the coax I purchased : https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000RG30CM?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

5. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Ah okay. Well both radios (President and Galaxy) that you have are good radios. It looks like your coax is 95% shield, so it should work fine for you.

6. Dadetrucking305

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    Do you have an SWR meter that you recommended? Don’t really want to spend the money on the analyzer.

7. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    This is the one I've used for years. Never let me down. Very tough. Mine has bounced around in several trucks I've driven for over a half million miles and still works like a charm. It's not cheap but it's a really nice meter. It will also do RF power which is nice. I have my radio hooked to a little amp and I can adjust the power output of the amp by adjusting the output of my radio, as the McKinley has built in RF power adjustment down to 1 watt.

https://www.amazon.com/DELTA-PSM100...ocphy=1018010&hvtargid=pla-591617620938&psc=1

8. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    Always use an external meter.
    Astatic has 2 very good meters.
    Use a short 1 foot coax to connect the external meter.

Dadetrucking305 Thanks this.
  9. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    Astatic PDC1.
    [​IMG]

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    The accuracy of the SWR meter is generally determined by the phase angle of your test cables. Any of them should work just fine assuming your cables are the proper phase angle

11. Dadetrucking305

Sep 15, 2011
    Cibolo,Texas
    Looks like Clay’s radio shop has an antenna analyzer and I’m probably going to take it to him to have the antenna system looked at.Also is it worth it to have the radio aligned by him?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.