Need tips/tricks on passing blood pressure test

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ralph4159, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Get plenty of rest, eat garlic gloves raw for immediate drop in pressure, no energy drinks or coffee, tea, etc...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
  4. Ralph4159

Ralph4159 Heavy Load Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I forgot to update what happened. I only had about 10 days before the test and my BP was 150+. I went on an extreme no-salt diet and drank some kind of beet juice powder. I was stressing out the whole time because I dreaded getting my medical card clipped.

Since the DOT clamp down (where only doctors on a special list can sign off), I had been seeing a woman physician near where I live (cost about $80). But last time she nearly flunked me. So I did a quick internet search and found an ad for someone who would do it for $20. Seemed ridiculous, but decided to check it out.

When I walked in the waiting room, there were TONS of drivers so I immediately thought: "oh no, this is going to take hours." I had drunken a bunch of water beforehand so I could take the drug test. The first red flag was they never said anything about it. I walked back up to the receptionist and asked if I could take the drug test first (because I had to go so bad). She said sure and handed me a bottle and told me the restroom was down a couple of long halls. Another red flag: aren't you always supposed to be under their observation?

After I got back to the waiting room, I noticed guys were going in and out of the 'doctor's' office about every 5 minutes. Just a few minutes later, I got called in by someone who I thought was a low level office worker. Later on I found out it was a chiropractor. I had no idea they could do the test.

He just *asked* me if I had any conditions, etc which might limit my driving. The actual physical was just a cursory 5 sec pulse check and what I swear was just a few second simulation of a BP test. I would say the whole 'exam' took about 3-5 minutes. Needless to say I passed with flying colors.

I was kind of pissed because I had dieted and worried like hell. On the other hand, I was ecstatic because I felt I had just discovered some kind of Willy Wonka dreamland clinic. Obviously, this was some kind of major racket and I should have reported it. But I was so happy to pass the test and didn't want it voided. And yes, the 'doc' accepted only cash. It was so blatant and out in the open, I would be shocked if the place still exists.

5. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    So this is how the morbidly obese are still driving trucks. Because there’s no way some of these guys are actually passing legitimate physicals.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Didn’t they change the standards for what makes blood pressure “high” a few years ago? Making more people have high blood pressure than the day before they changed the threshold?

I could be thinking of some other basic medical standard but I remember some related story from maybe two or three years ago.

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Yes. And I thought it was lowered to 130.

I remember the news too. But don't know what became of it.

I'm a smoker. So I get mine done first thing in the morning before that first smoke

MagnumaMoose Thanks this.
  8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Hypertension Guideline Lowers Threshold to 130/80 mm Hg

It’s like so much other “science” that is constantly evolving. Butter and whole milk. Bad. Good. Bad. Good. They can’t make up their minds. They (whoever they is) decides based on the wind direction that day.

MagnumaMoose Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    After a certain age you have that issue anyway.

It's actually a valid medical problem. If that is a issue then have it looked into. It might reveal the real threat to your life or ability to enjoy same.

I better shut up, there are limitations as to what can be done with BP. Ive gone both ways and have issues with it for a while. A change in food did help along with drinking fluids. Strictly the BP. Medicines get the rest.

To the one who thinks a Hottie in the Concentra is a problem while sitting for a BP, I say it aint that. Even with Nurse Prune you can make small talk inquiring as to her family doing these days. The sunshine you get back in words generally is good for a 20 point drop across the board.

brysol01 Thanks this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I'm sitting in a poor spot for internet at the moment. Article won't pull down.

But if one looks at the guidelines. It's still 140 last time someone posted the link on here. And the guidelines published wasn't that old.

SHRUG

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.