Need tips/tricks on passing blood pressure test

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ralph4159, Oct 20, 2013.

1. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    If I was overweight I'd probably go to a place like that so I wouldn't have to risk getting caught up in that sleep apnea scam.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Diet and exercise (weight loss) is fine for long term help with high blood pressure, but this is not practical for short or mid term bp control success

5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Just go online and get some blood pressure medication.
    Helps if someone in your immediate family is on meds, use same kind .
    Take for two days before and one the morning of.
    No alcohol or caffeine for 24 hrs and hydrate fully.
    You will pass for a two yr card.
    Not meant to replace diet, exercise or medication from a doctor.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I don't drink alcohol or caffeine. But I do hold off on the tabacco.

7. noreen077

noreen077 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Yes, 130/80 is the new standard for blood pressure for the general public. It used to be 120/80. I have always felt that the drug companies in this country have far too much influence on doctors buy way of perks to physicians. Can you imagine the 130/80 being used on DOT physical? Drivers would be failing in mass and the industry would shut down. My systolic (upper number) pressure is below 120 in both arms. But I had work fairly hard to get it there and keep careful watch on myself to keep it there. Some day I'm not going to be able to pass the physical. And thats the day I'll park the rig and walk away.

8. noreen077

noreen077 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Some individuals have a anxiety about having a blood pressure measurement taken on them. I had the "problem" for many years. In my Sophomore year of high school I went out for the swimming team and had to have a pre-participation physical. The doctor listened to my heart and then reached for the pressure ccuff. I could feel my heart starting to pound as she wrapped the cuff around my arm and started to pump it up. It was really getting tight. As the air was released I could feel several pulsations in my arm. The doctor told me that my pressure was 160 and asked if I were nervous. I said I was and she had me sit for while and examined the other girls. On recheck it had dropped to 132 but she passed me. She suggested that I relax when my pressure is checked. I went through the same thing at three pre-employment physicals. High readings initially and then dropping down. The examiners were considerate and rechecked me.Then I learned some relaxation techniques and haven't had a issue since. On a different note, I think you would all like to know that physicians are now encouraged to check blood pressure in both arms. Dr. Natalie Hartenbaum, M.D., in her book A Guide to the DOT Physical Exam writes that blood pressure should be measured in both arms with the highest reading recorded. So you could have a passable pressure reading in one arm and fail because the other arm comes in at the 140/90 level. And some doctors will show you no mercy Stay healthy and be safe.

9. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Look into beet juice and research that.

10. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    That's it.
    The best advice.
    Just follow it.
    Good luck.

11. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    Meditation helps a lot.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.