Need windshield squeegee ideas: What do you use/recommend?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Russian Rabbit, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I have a telescoping pole anyway since I do flatbed. Before I fuel I soak the glass with windex. While I fuel I do it again then scrub and squeegee. It gives windex time to destroy the bugs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Where we often work, the winds will dry the windex in about 8 seconds, probably less

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  4. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Yeah... that’s kind of the point, and the reason you spray a second time. Windex is made to dry very quickly.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I use a collapsible squeegee from walmart. I carry a spray bottle of washer fluid. Scrub the bugs with a dry squeegee, then spray washer fluid on squeegee. Scrub window with wet squeegee, flip it over and dry the window with the rubber blade, then respray the squeegee, knock off the dead bugs, and put it away. Since the collapsible model isn't long enough to do everything from the ground, only do this when I cant get to a fuel stop. I do the above from an open cab door reaching around the A post.

6. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Thanks for the suggestions; i've ordered the Ettomore squeegee and Mr. longarm arm thru amazon, although i am having second thoughts not because the above products are bad, but there may be a better way:

There has been a few mentions of scrub it first then rinse. i've realized that all of our terminals have running water (who would have thought.......). i tried the "conventional" way of windex and papertowels (since my equipment has not arrived from amazon) and this didn't work out so well-----which makes me wonder how i would APPLY the windex (which again, the windex didn't work so well). i applied it today by climbing on the engine's valve cover. Obviously, this isn't going to fly, i was just doing it this way because my pole hasn't arrived and the reason for ordering a pole in the first place.

(Side note: apparently the engines in volvos sit lower in the chassis? This allowed me to step on the valve cover to apply the windex. This, in no way, means i like volvo.)

But even if i had the pole, like i said, the windex didn't work good.

1) Now, IF i had a squeegee with the soft part on the other side, would this then make the application of the windex better?
    a) Is there a better alternative to windex? Now, admittedly, my windex is probably the cheap S i got from harris teeter, not actual windex.

2) Please describe, in greater detail, the scrub first, then rinse with water technique. Specifically, what equipment? Remind, that all my terminals have running water----thus i could just use a bucket.

7. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    Get a squirt bottle that you can spray your window from the ground.
    I usually soak it good with glass plus and let it sit. Then use the squeegee from the ground too. Does a nice job. Sometimes it drys fast in the heat and direct sun... then I just reapply as needed

8. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    I use a telescoping pole with a regular wash brush to clean my windshield. It works well, and of course I can also wash my tractor with it.

I forget where I bought mine, though. Either Love's or Pilot. The difference is weight. I made sure to purchase a lightweight brush head and lightweight pole.

Another handy dandy thing I carry is my own water hose. It's simply a 50 foot coil garden hose I purchased from Walmart.

9. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Go to a commercial cleaning supply store and get a glass cleaner with ammonia. They will have spray bottles that shoot a stream. I spray and squeegee. Let it sit and it melts bugs right away. Cut it with winter wash fluid do it won't freeze. 70/30 works for me.

10. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    ALERT:
    The Mr. Long arm pole and Ettore backflip squeegee ARE NOT compatible: The Mr. long arm has a 3/4 acme screw end while the Ettore squeegee has a quick lock/click lock attachment.

i received both last week, and while both definitely appear to be high-quality products, they are not compatible and i can't use either as they sit right now.

i think i will order another pole from ettore---with the quick-lock feature and continue to use the ettore squeegee.

i still think this was good information though; Most of what is discussed on trucking forums is absolutely useless. But we've discussed so far and this thread and will hopefully continue to discuss is useful.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  11. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    Screw it---i ordered longarm #1002. This is a a combo washer/squeegee with adapter, so i can use the original longarm arm.

i'm really busy and don't have time to screw with this stuff, so if we could please be more accurate with research and recommendations in the future that would be great. i mean, i post my checks and am 100% honest, so i think it's fair.

i really do appreciate any information though.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.