Need windshield squeegee ideas: What do you use/recommend?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Russian Rabbit, Jan 21, 2019.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    That sucks. That’s like you preparing red meat for dinner and your date brings a bottle of Chardonnay.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    I open the hood and climb up on the tire and do it by hand.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    And that’ll work fine until it doesn’t and you get hurt. Not a matter of if. Only a matter of when and how bad.

5. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    I have seen ladders that fit over the front wheel that makes it safer to climb up, then you can wipe all the streaks off from them squeegees. and inspect wiper blades and when you do that oops, make it big.

6. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    I’m crazy about clean windows. The only way I’ve been able to work is like this. Btw this won’t work with your design specs.

I pop the hood and climb up with a micro fiber cloth. I spray the windshield with Clindo, and then scrub the window with my cloth. Once that is done I rainx the windshield and then wipe it down with a synthetic chamois. The rainx keeps the window cleaner longer. I take all my rags and wash them weekly when I do laundry.

Squeegees leave lines. Truck stop buckets leave a film and make a mess.

Russian Rabbit and Slowmover1 Thank this.
  7. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Ever worked with a professional painter? It’s all in the prep. The older the truck, the more work:

1). Climb up on motor. Start with single-edge razor blade (Welcome to Texas). This tool is about where glass meets mount on all edges. Be careful. From 2-4” out all the way around. Shallow angle. Shouldn’t drag when right.

Continue with #0000 (4-ought) steel wool.

- Divide windshield into sections. Always work same way: Top-bottom and left-right.

- Use an ammonia-distilled water solution with both tools.

-,Rinse with hose. Touch up with razor.

2). Windex & newsprint is round two. This is sort of glass polishing. Rinse with hose.

3). Castrol Super Clean on windshield surround. Scrubber. Not full strength. Get back onto paint a ways.

- End result is no dirt, NO GREASE, from dead-center of glass to a band almost six inches out into paint.

The rubber gasket will take a lot of work. It’s never perfect, but be consistent.

4). Stop at Blue Beacon. Pay the little extra to have tractor brushed. Explain concern about front glass. Have them “two-step” the entire tractor (acid, then alkaline).

5). Use something like Rain-X in multiple coats. A “system” of products: aerosol cleaner, washer additive, etc, that promotes long life of the Rain-X type product.

Example: RAIN-X brand summer or winter wash fluid ONLY. Stock up on their PURPLE, too.

6). New wiper blades.

Interior glass needs more scrubbing than you’ll expect. The interior plastic outgasses and films the glass. Can be harder. Try the Rain-X scrub.

On daily cleaning: the glass center takes care of itself. Work the outer glass edges is the real trick.

For future: “Invisible Glass” (aerosol-only) for interior. Daily. Buy PAPER disposable towel roll for GLASS at Wally.

There may be “better” products but Wally’s has them everywhere.

You get into a truck behind a slob and the glass is impossible. The above will do it. But it’s hours BESIDES going to Blue BEACON.

If the glass ISN'T invisible once you’re done, then it’s sandblasted from age & miles. Needs replacement. (Same for drivers seatbelt. Be an ####### about getting them replaced).

As to other tools: Dawn dishwash on squeegee once Rain-X can’t control bugs anymore (it will strip).

I like having an extended BRUSH for windshield. Think agitation. Small sorta, and rounded. Stiffer over softer, but could still use on paint lightly (these aint Ferraris). More important it store easily.

Wash truck every two weeks. Beacon quality. There just comes a point that level is needed.

Invisible glass and perfect mirrors say a volumes worth about who is at the wheel. To those who know WHAT to look for and WHY.

Last, your eyes take up to 25% of your total energy. Updated prescription. Spray cleaner.

(Remove/replace eyeglasses with two hands ONLY, and ALWAYS install in a dedicated case to store. NEVER on dash or other places the stupids leave them around).

TRANSITIONS DriveWear for shades. Can wear sun-up to sun-down.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    rabbiporkchop and otterinthewater Thank this.
  8. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Great post!

Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  9. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Look for this in Merriam-Webster’s newest dictionary additions!

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Best way I found is-- sit in seat and push round knob and wipers come on, blue juice comes out and sprays windshield, wipers go back and forth 2-3 times after releasing button. Done

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  11. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Some of the trucks I see, they look as if the last time the windows were clean was when it left the dealership!

rabbiporkchop and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.