Need winter advice !!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by AustinC0397, Sep 30, 2022.

1. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Heavy and wet snow when it's not much below freezing is no good for traction.

Dry and stupid cold snow really isn't bad at all.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Traffic. I used to hear the frustrations of our Montreal based central dispatcher as he cussed the hours it took to negotiate N. NJ in two inches of snow VRS his normal commute in to work after the foot of snow they had.

Then I visited Montreal in March and saw the size of the snowplows and the ten wheel dumps making their way up the mountain of snow hauled off the mall parking lot...

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Slowly and with lots of space in front of you. There is no alternative. You don't want to use a jake brake when traction is questionable.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Downshift into a gear that will maintain the desired speed. DO NOT expect to drive at the speed limit regardless of road conditions. I've driven on the interstate in ice/snow at 15-25 mph. When you are new a good rule is don't pass any other truck.

6. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    Not too mention Mandatory Snow Tires .. most use studs as well ..

lual and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  7. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    Just make sure when weather is bad you keep a big distance between you and Swifty and FedWrecks.

8. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    One piece of advice I forgot, something I've had two or three old timers tell me, when driving on snow, slow down till your tire tread surface turns white. If the treads are black, your tires are hot, you'll melt the snow, if your treads are white, your treads are staying cool and can generate friction to help you with traction. I've tried it with mixed results, but it's something to consider.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.