Negotiating Curves

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Texas_tea, Mar 30, 2023.

1. dunchues

dunchues Medium Load Member

Mar 23, 2012
    new brunswick
    You can go too slow as many times at you like but you can only get away with the opposite once. I'd just keep driving within your ability and take time to get comfortable with how it moves around with different loads and weights.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Stone Express

Stone Express Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2013
    It is too bad American trucks don’t have anti-sway bars like Euro trucks offer. Some of theirs have a huge bar in back. You don’t see their trucks rock, roll and lean like in this country, especially with the high rise sleepers.

Someone posted that Mack offers a front sway bar now. That would be a good start.

I had a loaded smooth-bore tanker down south one time. I set the cruise on 60, being cautious in the hills on the freeway.
    Next thing I knew, I had a convoy behind me. I guess they all like the pace the tanker was running. Like back in the day.

4. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Depends on exact starting to tip time... Sometime, outrun it straight...

5. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Ever ride a motorcycle? Learn to let the machine talk to you, you’ll feel more comfortable in time. Until then don’t worry about going to slow, worry about kicking the windshield out because you’re laying on your side…..

Coffey, JolliRoger and scott180 Thank this.
  6. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Here’s a tip!
    Keep your 5th wheel greased good. Having a dry trailer plate and 5th wheel can fight you in those curves.

Slow before the curve so you’re not getting on the brakes while in it. Coming out of a curve power up.

I used to drive a Volvo that made me uncomfortable in curves so I know what you’re talking about.

7. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I've taken curves way to fast where I believe I was driving a 9 instead of a 18 wheeler. What an idiot I was. I got lucky and never crashed, but I could have. I like looking at the Risk - Reward of things.
    Reward- It was fun, it kept my adrenaline pumping, saved some time.
    Risk - I could of crashed, could of hurt someone, could of gotten a ticket, could of messed up my license, may have become unemployable.
    The Risk far out weighed the Reward so I quit doing it years ago. Listen to the other guys that say to take it easy. In time you'll learn to feel what the truck wants to do, then just do that and only up to that.

8. The Railsplitter

The Railsplitter Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    Watch those downsloping exit ramps too, those are frequently the cause of rollover wrecks from drivers who enter them too fast. :eek:

9. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi

Best capsule answer:
    —Slow Before the curve and accelerate thru...this keeping your suspension tight
    Acceleration thru curve does not mean speeding...just slowly and steadily pick up speed thru

scott180, Coffey, Texas_tea and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Phoenix Heavy Haul Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC
    And look out for non banked exit ramps. You won’t know it till you hit it, however if there are signs saying slow down and flashy lights then that area or ramp is known for roll overs.

11. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    Just wanted to add one more tip.

Always be mindful of the load in your trailer. Loaded heavy and high giving you a high center of gravity vs low center of gravity load. I’ve been through too many curves with posted speed limits that clearly didn’t take a loaded semi into account!

Okay, one more :)
    Changing lanes in a curve, I don’t recommend it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.