negotiating rates

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by 100%Gofio, Sep 14, 2017.

1. 100%Gofio

100%Gofio Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2017
    well i got couple weeks in and taking into account the same "general" advise, when i give my price, i do get those reactions, lol but i am yet to have one that simply hangs up the phone on me. But i mean c'om when you are asking for $1.10 going to TX or $1.60 to FL and i turn around and ask for $2 more/mile, dont get upset, lets negotiate and meet in the middle... I am learning to post the truck and wait for the calls and also learning to respond to the "what are you thinking or what do you need for that run" with, what do you think its fair and help us both make a little bit of money for it" and i respond back with that question as i am thinking that brokers know what O/O 'need' to break even in very general terms. there is no way they think that running at $1.10 is enough for a trucker to make money... i have told those low ballers "you know if i run my truck 'power only' i would make $1.45/mile minimum" .. there is usually a dead silence for a few seconds, see if they are able to grasp the concept.

Lite bug Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Yeah, I dunno what markets you're running, but on the vast majority of my full truck freight I'm paying significantly better than the numbers you've listed here. If I'm paying less, it's generally on a very small partial. Most of my 20' partials pay better than that.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It depends on where he is trying to book loads from but it seems as though with him being a new entrant that everyone is trying to take advantage of him. You could book a $2 a mile van load from around here so fast it'd make your head spin. Brokers would happily take that option. I really can't think of anywhere that you couldn't get $3 a mile to there without hardly trying. But there's zero van freight coming out of there and everyone knows it meaning $3 a mile sucks. Friggin scoundrels.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  5. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Yeah, I suppose that's fair. I dunno. I paid $4.25/mi to run into Northern MO the other day on a van run. I've been paying ~$3.00-$3.25/mi to decent markets out of the Chicago area the last few weeks.

I think the cheapest I've booked a full for in the last month or two has been just north of $2.00/mi, and that's mostly on flats in slow markets. People offering @100%Gofio $1.10/mi for a full truckload are crazy.

6. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    You will, I was hung up on twice this morning. I think it's funny.

The ones that piss me off are the ones that act insulted and then wanna ask where I got my number from. I always respond to that by asking where they got theirs from. Usually they get real silent for a minute. I don't ask brokers why they price or offer things the way they do, why do some think they need to ask me I'll never know. It sure is a good feeling to know that they need me more than I need them.

JimmyWells, Ruthless and PPDCT Thank this.
  7. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Can confirm; you're gonna get hung up on. I don't do that - it's bad precedent, but I have carriers and agents hang up on me from time to time. I had a gal who hung up on me this morning - not sure what her deal was- the broken English made it hard for me to quite figure out what her hang up with the load was. I turned around and booked it two minutes later. If she'd taken the time to counter-offer, or what have you, I'd have been willing to see if we could've worked it out. Rarely am I inflexible.

8. 100%Gofio

Aug 3, 2017
    well it took for me to open my mouth.. i just got my first hang up on me after i told the caller my rate, lol

PPDCT Thanks this.
  9. 100%Gofio

Aug 3, 2017

I just got quoted $ 0.75 to go out of FL!!! .. I hang up the phone, lol

10. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    ...For a full truckload?

11. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Out of FL not in. I'm paying 4 bucks a mile to FL so I think .75 a mile coming out sounds a bit too high lol.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.