nervous...for hill climbing

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by slamberg08, Feb 16, 2011.

1. slamberg08

slamberg08 Bobtail Member

Dec 18, 2010
    regina sask
    Hey guys i just completed my training through a 4 week course and got my 1a..I got a job pulling flatdeck and have currently been lucky not to hit any hills. Believe it or not they gave me no trainnig foir this in my school. I need help asap......
    the way im looking at it as....im coming up to a hill in say 8th na hAlf from what i read i should hit is as fast as i can.....when my rpm's start dropping should i take it out at 1500 rpm and shift down to 7th or 7th and a half or drop 2 gears.....i know this may sound stupid and im sure ill do fine but jsut looking out formyself here.....i was taught double clutching so should i also double clutch taking it out of gear climbing a hill....dooes double clutching take away from ur shifting time to ge tit in a lower gear

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stillayoungman

stillayoungman Light Load Member

Dec 31, 2010
    As far as what gear you use to climb a grade that depends on how steep and how heavy you are. What you want to be careful is how you come down. Unless you are very confident in your ability, pick a gear to come down in and leave it there until you are at the bottom.

4. slamberg08

Dec 18, 2010
    regina sask
    im pretty confident on coming down the hill i will leave it in a lower gear with the jakes on....and feather the brakes im more terrified of the climb...i dont wanna blow a shift....

5. Attitude:)

Attitude:) "Love each Day as if it was your last"

Jul 13, 2007
    TX NM & CO

I totally agree. Until you've got more experience with driving and your loads, keep it in the low gears. Going up is the easy part. That weight can push you down a low grade hill much faster than you realize.

6. stillayoungman

Dec 31, 2010
    If you are worried about missing one on an assent just start the DS a bit early so you don't lose too much steam and then have to drop down even farther.

7. end of the road

end of the road Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Northern Canada
    Just start dropping gears. Yes RPM a little higher.

Steeper the hill the bigger the drop. Some hills I drop a half gear at a time. Some I drop whole gears some I drop 1.5. The only way you will know is practice and experience.

Don't panic, and just try to find a gear. When you start dropping gears in low range you are pretty much ######. But your truck should be able to pull just about any hill in 4th. I manage to get up 18% grade at 63,500kg no problem in 4th.

If you do stall out or come to a stop. Just casually put on the hazard lights, put it in bull low and start the slow climb. Don't get too greedy and try to grab a gear when climbing like this.

It has happened to all of us I am sure and it is part of the learning process.

davetiow and papa1953 Thank this.
  8. stillayoungman

Dec 31, 2010
    That very thing happen to a student when I was at school. Fortunately there was ample shoulder to move over and start again. He did ultimately pass and get his CDL.

9. slamberg08

Dec 18, 2010
    regina sask
    hey medium end.................that helps alot....my truck im driving is a 08 peterbuilt with over 500hp so i dont think id ever have to go to low range.....but thanks for the reply that helped alot....

10. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Until you get the hang of it, depending on your engine and weight, just let your rpm's drop to 1000-1200, drop a gear and you'll be back up to 1500-1600 rpms. Keep doing that as the hill drags you down. Once you are in the right gear, your rpms will hold steady as most hills are designed at a steady grade. If you have an ISX, they love 1200 rpm's. The biggest mistake students make is over accelerating the engine on the clutch, bump,downshift. Be smooth on the bump up.

11. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    Man you think climbing the hills are making you nervous..... Just the thought of you coming off the hill on the otherside is making me nervous.....

Going up is easy! Coming down is the challenge!!

trucker_101 and rambler Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.