Never been through DOT inspection

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jdm5jdm5, Jun 11, 2016.

1. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    Thickness, drums or discs,properly adjusted, and to make sure you re not leaking hub oil onto the brakes

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZhenyaP1991

ZhenyaP1991 Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Thanks I know :)

street beater Thanks this.
  4. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    You will find that every DOT inspector has different triggers. When you are pulling over a scale they do not have time to observe everything so they look to see certain things. One person may look for cracks around the lung bolts another looks for oil leaks. Whatever they have found in the past is what they look for.

Once pulled in to lot for an inspection, they are doing a "Pre Trip". Only they really do it. They are looking for things you should have already caught.

Brakes travel is what they check for a lot as it is something that you are supposed to have check. Most drivers do not know how to adjust the slack adjusters but we are all suppose to. (Good video on line, do a google search.)

Getting stopped by a roving Patrol is a different matter. They are looking to write you a ticket. I had a Ohio HP guy that pull a wire lose so that my brake lights and tail lights on my tractor were in operable. Those guys should not be out of your sight at anytime.

Most of the DOT folks are just doing their job and are truly just wanting to keep you safe. Just remember, hands up don't shoot.

Audiomaker Thanks this.
  5. Fx9

Fx9 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016
    DOT inspections are basically glorified pretrips. If your trk is tite like it should be then there shouldnt be a problem.
    Heres a few tips -
    Keep your qcom card and paper log book with your permits. You wont look like an idiot rummaging thru the trk to find them .
    Washer fluid - they do check it.
    SPARE FUSES , most trucks dont come with them and most people forget they need them or forget to buy them .
    Glad hand seals - they will listen while you release each brake .

6. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    What the heck is a qcomm book?

7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    You are required to have a manual for your elogs.

Dave_in_AZ and DDlighttruck Thank this.
  8. Fx9

Fx9 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016
    Yes , it should be a thick paper card with instructions for the dot .
    Yes , its a thick paper card with instructions on it for the dot .

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  9. DDlighttruck

DDlighttruck Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Oh. So no ELOGS = no card?

10. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    When I was driving my load shifted from GA on my way to VA. Well I had a cat scale ticket and everything was good. Well when I hit the mountains the paper rolls shifted. I got pulled in for overweight in VA. Company got a ticket for the weight I got a class 1 and all was good. Besides they put me over my HOS lol.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    A professional, polite and courteous attitude goes a long way. How you first greet then sets the tone of the inspection.
    The brakes, they at least look for the length of travel of the brake stroke.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.