Never been through DOT inspection

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jdm5jdm5, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    When you come to a stop, if your brakes are MOANING, even just one, its probably out of adjustment, and will get his attention. Make sure your pads aren't cracked. Squealing from the front could mean the same thing.
    They do brakes on level 1, you shouldn't see too many of those.
    Your appearance counts for a lot.
    Be polite, but don't kiss his ###.

The only time I've failed since '05 was in Montana. This skinny DOT at the Butte scale. Looked like he was collecting glasses at Auschwitz in a previous life. Got me for speeding after the fact on the 5th day back. He had an axe to grind for some reason.

Keep all your lights working. Listen for air leaks. Get yourself a set of wrenches, so you can tighten fittings. Fix any light that goes out.
    What is the number 1 open the door to a roadside inspection? Lamp not working that illuminates the trailer license plate.

The effort you put in will keep you out of trouble. I'd say 50% are in fact pricks at the scalehouse, they want to generate revenue, and do not like giving out those clean reports.

Audiomaker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mikesee

Mikesee Light Load Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Keep your paperwork i.e. Med card, registrations, insurance card and logs neatly organized in binder if some sort within easy reach for immediate inspection. It's the first thing they ask for

4. Jdm5jdm5

Jdm5jdm5 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Is this video what you mean by brake travel?

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. str8t10

str8t10 Medium Load Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Rochester,ny
    As others said demeanor and appearance go a long way. Just the other week around 5/27 I got pulled in at a rest stop for a surprise inspection. My truck was getting a new radiator installed and we had a driver on bereavement leave so I was driving his tractor and didn't know where anything was except the triangles and fire extinguisher. I always do a full pre trip so I new I was good there. But I was polite with the officer and he was patient as I looked for the folder containing cab card,insurance,permits etc, while he checked out my bol,license and logbook. He was very thorough and checked everything but the brake stroke. Before he started the inspection I found the folder and all was well. It just goes to show you they aren't all out to get you. But I will admit I've encountered a few that must have had a stick so far up their hind end that if they spit I bet some bark would fly out there mouth lol.

6. Md420

Md420 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Tn
    I didn't get hit for 2+ years when I first started driving then got pulled for everyth9from level 1 to 3 5 times in 3 months. Be careful what you wish for

7. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Get a Pre-pass and it will keep you out of their clutches on many occasions.

Audiomaker Thanks this.
  8. Fx9

Fx9 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016
    Correct .

DDlighttruck Thanks this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Brake measurements, stroke measurement, oil leaks such as power steering etc, leaks of any kind. Busted leaf springs, blown bags, worn shocks, sheared bolts, on and on and on.

There is nothing on that truck you are in that will escape a proper inspection.

You really don't want to be inspected for two reasons, One there is a potential for a significant hit on your wallet when they get through writing tickets and two, inspections are not something that is fun or tolerable. They are instruments of enforcement by a State, County, Federal Government determined to make sure your truck is safe for the road.

There is a third reason I don't do inspections very well. Personality types. There is always that iron ### lightweight or cold blooded ##### who has to sun herself by the burning fires of failed inspection slips to warm up enough to be civil. /sarcasm.

With that said, Inspectors are usually looking for something in particular when you find out what it is, help them. Even if it turns out to be nothing at all.

My first formal DOT inspection was near Clarksburg WVa I think it was, I cannot remember anymore it's been so long ago. My trainer was standing over my shoulder as I burned with shame handing over a truly crappy log book.

Inspector looked at the book, took a look at me then the trainer. A pregnant pause... Said to trainer, this boy needs schooling and when I finish this smoke break it begins then. As he lit up a cigerette.

My trainer collared me, tossed me into the tractor and we were at 80 by the time we hit the end of the exit ramp. The following two weeks every waking moment was log book school. Until I got it right.

Then I had three glorious weeks of how to really do the logs turning the entire system onto it's ear. I was a very good student.

10. nonsense007

nonsense007 Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2016
    Reidland, Kentucky

Make sure tires are at least 70% tread, lights are all working. and truck is shiny outside and clean inside, and log book nice and neat, and you should be all good.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. Giuseppe Ventolucci

Giuseppe Ventolucci Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2015
    I just got my license suspended at a scale for a DUI , but I feel the need to remind you to not even think of driving on the scale unless you're absolutely sure you are sober !

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.