new authority HELP!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Alesanchez1991, Jan 9, 2017.

1. thatinsuranceguy

thatinsuranceguy Bobtail Member

May 12, 2017
    Progressive is writing policies for new ventures again. Its more expensive and the restrictions very by state. For example in WA they will only allow for a 6 month policy and I can only set a minimum radius of 500 where as I used be able to select 50 or 100 miles. If you have a ticket commercially or in your PV its going to cost you. It would appear that it is averaging around $10K per violation. There are only a few companies writing new authorities. Progressive and National Indemnity will write most people and are the most expensive. If you have a clean MVR and no accidents or OOS issues you may be able to get with a company like Lancer. These companies are particular and they do not like older equipment.

Keep your MVR and Authority clean. Fight every ticket and or out of service violation to keep your professional image clean! Doing so will save you money in the long run. One final suggestion is to look at upping your deductibles from $1,000 to $2,500. this will save you some money on your overall annual premium. Now consider this - Don't file a claim on the stupid stuff. If you have a deer strike and It's $1,200.00 pay it out of pocket! If your deductible is $1,000 is it really worth it for the $200? Having a few little claims can add up. Say you have one per year from $1,000-2,500 and on the fourth year you have a big one say $15-20,000. You may find it hard to get a quote or at least an affordable quote. Every claim you have is going to increase your Loss Ratio. Get combined deductibles if you can!

whoopNride and OLDSKOOLERnWV Thank this.
  2. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Am I reading this right, Progressive is once again taking on new ventures? Was discussing this the other night with a freind.

3. thatinsuranceguy

thatinsuranceguy Bobtail Member

May 12, 2017
    Yes they are!

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  4. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I got in with Progressive as a new entrant (Oregon) in January 2016. My current truck, cargo & trailer liability runs me roughly $7,200 a year on a 2016 truck & 2016 dry van trailer. I feel sorry for a lot of the guys trying to get in now.

ohiobred, OLDSKOOLERnWV and whoopNride Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.