New Career in hot shot!! HELP PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by nathannathan25, Jul 31, 2012.

1. hottubd

hottubd Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Hey Bob,
    I,m located in Shenandoah County,VA
    35 miles South of Winchester,Va off of Interstate81

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. U.S. Veteran

U.S. Veteran Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Let me know if you need any help. I have been doing this for about 10 years.

4. JohnnyShipit

JohnnyShipit Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2012
    What kinda rig ya got?

5. U.S. Veteran

Dec 7, 2012
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I have a 1 ton with a custom 40' lowboy. The trailer weighs 7000 lbs. and can handle up to 28500 lbs.

6. JohnnyShipit

Nov 11, 2012
    What make is your one ton and trailer? You do freight, or oilfield stuff? Leased on with someone?

7. U.S. Veteran

Dec 7, 2012
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I am an O/O with my own authority. I have a 2008 Silverado 3500 with a Loadmax trailer. I have done everything, from oil work to freight and even cars. I grab anything that pays. You can't really stick to one thing. You have to have the mind set that "if it fits and pays....I'm going to pull it."

8. JohnnyShipit

Nov 11, 2012
    I totally agree, I have a chevy also has she been a good truck? I am just getting started and with all the dough it's cost me I think I could take the next step to get my own authority but I want to run for someone and get some experience before I take that step. So when your away from home what do you do for sleeping?

9. U.S. Veteran

Dec 7, 2012
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Yeah, she does very well. I do not have a sleeper so i have to stay in hotels. My dispatcher finds me hotels at pretty good rates. He takes really good care of me and my pocket book. The is one of the things you will have to deal with. But, I will say, I do like it better than having a sleeper. i can shower every night.

10. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Garry was doing your dispacth right? Is he still?

11. jbatmick

jbatmick Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    hastings, Fl
    You will pull a trailer grossing 35,500 pounds with a one ton truck ? How can you scale that ? What kind of brakes have you got to safely stop that much ?
    I know nothing about hot shots, but I do know about 1 ton trucks, and I have never investigated weight laws for hot shots.

Not saying it cannot be done, but it sure seems like a lot of weight for a big pick-up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.