New carrier here

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Sdtransportllc, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Sdtransportllc

Sdtransportllc Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2017
    Hey, if anybody can help that would be great

Been working as a dispatcher for a while. I just got my authority. I have one owner operator driving for me (my dad). And atleast 5 other guys interested in driving for me ( my dad's friends ) Spent the last month getting all paperwork in order I have ucr IRP IFTA insurance everything in order.Haven't booked our first load yet. I wanted to know how hard will it be to get brokers to work with me. which brokers require a minimum time of having my authority? I've invested a lot of money so far so would love to see some return soon. I'll be ready to book a load next week . If any carriers can help me out it would be great.

Ps sorry if this is in wrong forum.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Reason for edit: Grammar
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Dry van? reefer ? flat? tanker? dump? bottom dump? step deck?

Sdtransportllc Thanks this.
  4. Sdtransportllc

Feb 21, 2017
  5. thejackal

thejackal Road Train Member

Mar 1, 2014
    detroit mi
    Worked for small companies pretty much my entire career. Never brand new like yours, but there are brokers who will work with you.
    Can't give too much advice that will solidly help, because there are 100s of variables...but simply want to encourage you.

6. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Only a few would not work with you because you're new. I started a few months ago myself and before that it also had been my primary concern; I'm new and they won't want to talk to me. No! You will book loads, but don't have too great expectations for juicy rates at present days. But you've been a dispatcher, so you should know.

7. LandslideRich

LandslideRich Light Load Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    Start with the big ones that will load you with new authority. TQL, CHR, Landstar, etc. They're cheap but at least they'll load you when you're new.

8. Sdtransportllc

Feb 21, 2017
    Great that's all I needed to know. Yea I know the rates are HORRIBLE I want to cry lol but it should only be getting better.

9. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    They're especially bad right now for vans but will improve in the coming weeks. Or should.. Last year we kept waiting for that as it was the usual thing for rates to start a steady climb upwards from March until mid July.... and waiting, and waiting and waiting, and waiting..... and sometime around the end of May things finally got a little better in the southeast. Everyone is so optimistic about the new administration - with the Wall Street rise and excitement - if that turns into some real good business out here for working people, well that part remains to be seen.

10. Sdtransportllc

Feb 21, 2017
    Yeah
    As far as the administration goes I am hoping it's for the best. Although there has been a lot of talk about export import to Mexico and how that might not turn out so well as far as loads out of Laredo go. I guess we can only wait and see

11. swaggerjacker

swaggerjacker Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Congrats on your startup!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.