New CAT Engine

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by JonJon78, Feb 5, 2023.

1. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Yea i actully picked up a running 6NZ. Friend gave it to me on christmas as a gift thinking it was a bad engine with a good core since it wouldnt start but bore holes showed no damage when we scoped em and everything turned freely. Got it out of this clunker behind my ram here he picked up as a parts doner. He knew i wanted a C15 so handed it to me to save me a few grand...... Last time i was home i got a used turbo from the scrap yard locally for $200 and changed it onto my 6nz and it turned over. Runs rough as hell but it fired. Planning to rebuild it myself and got a quote for $25K to install it since i dont have the right tools to do it myself without damageing things....and i have no clue with the harness lol.

This is my plan B if the pete explodes before my mack is ready.

Attached Files:

Brettj3876, Coffey and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Installing it should be the easy part. Just need a big enough strong back, a winch and stay out from under it. With the hood and radiator cac off out of the way. You can change all that in the process. The wiring would be the hard part. Hard to find an old Freightliner harness for a Cat. I’m sure there’s experts at all that. @Dino soar swapped out a series 60, swapped in a Cummins. Just think of all the extra stuff you can buy with the $20k you’ll save.

4. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Don’t you talk that way about that FLD. Of all the things. :p:p:p

5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The price for junk pre emission engines is going to go up because people will be buying them just for the core to turn in to order a pre emission Cat.

YardMule89 and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That’s funny, I misunderstood. Thought the Cat was going into the FLD. One man’s clunker is another’s turn key money maker. FLD with a cat is rare. FLDs are rare. YouTube Gentry Trucking loves his FLD over all the other fancy Trucks he has. It’s a short nose too. FLD112, not a 120.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  7. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Shouldn't be too difficult. :p

Mine clicked over a million recently. Uses two quarts of oil every 15,000 miles, and has never used coolant. I still hate it, but it's doing good.

8. Arctic_fox

Sep 16, 2016
    This fld has a fire inside the diff. Frame is warped and cracked so only good for parts. We bought it for the cab to go on his other fld that runs but is rusted through in places on the cab. Amd the front axle amd transmission to go under another rig. He has a DD16 in it so had no use for the kitty and handed it to me.

As for putting it in myself if i get the mack i will at least try. if not....well i know my own handywork lol. I SUCK at electrical.

JoeyJunk, Rideandrepair and Last Call Thank this.
  9. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

Electrical is an art all its own, and takes meticulous planning and execution to do right (and the RIGHT tools) im not saying im an artist by any stretch, but Im happy with the work I do now.

If youre going to do harness work, buy a deutsch connector kit, the one i have listed here is 300$, but thereafter just buy the pins and connectors etc from an electrical harness parts distributor

Attached Files:

10. Cdemars316

Cdemars316 Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2018
    This sucks for me, mine is a mbn, and apparently to "new" to do the core exchange. I will have to quicken my search for a 6nz or older block. The price on those is no going to go through the roof

JoeyJunk and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. Arctic_fox

Sep 16, 2016
    Ill look into it. This is still idealy 6 months to a year or two off. Rebuild kit alone is almost 10k without the turbo and pushing 20 with EVERYTHING which if im going to rebuild my kitty cat its getting the kid glove treatment. That way i never gotta do it again....for a few years.

The Railsplitter Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.