New CDL-A holder question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by slash334, Jul 27, 2017.

1. slash334

slash334 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Yeah so I just received my CDL-A through a community college and I'm looking to get a job driving.

My issue I'm having is I take a prescription medication that is a narcotic. I applied to a company and explained to them that I take this medication and they touched base with me after I submitted my application that they can't hire me while I'm taking this prescription. The recruiter said I can't drive with them even though I stopped taking my meds a week ago. (I don't need this medication either, it's just a supplement prescription) She said I'd have to come back in 6 months and try again.

Are there any companies that will hire me even though my DOT long form says I take these medications? I understand that even if I fail the company drug test, it won't be held against me because I have the medication listed on my DOT physical form.

Which companies DO NOT do hair follicle testing and also hires student drivers?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rocknroller4

Rocknroller4 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Western Express. Carolina Cargo. Southern Refrigerated. May Trucking. Swift maybe?

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  4. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    You're going to have to knock on doors. Taking meds and trucking don't mix well. Truck co's don't need any headaches, they'd rather not hire a potential problem, and a narcotic prescribed med is a problem. (reference Dick Simon driver some yrs ago who drove truck onto Capitol steps in Sacramento)

5. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    You say you dont need it.... so why are you taking it knowing you are going into a drug sensitive industry? And what is the drug?

driverdriver Thanks this.
  6. slash334

slash334 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2017
    I went to the doctor about a year and a half ago for stress and difficulty sleeping. He prescribed me an SSRI called Lexapro and I'm supposed to take it daily before sleep. The other prescription is Clonezapam, which is a benzo (similar to xanax but is more theraputic.) I'm only supposed to take the Clonezapam on days that the Lexapro isn't cutting it (bad days, high stress.) I probably take it once or twice a week. I don't NEED it, but it does help. I've found I can substitute it with benadryl, so I'll take the allergy medication with the Lexapro and it'll usually help me fall asleep.

Also: I didn't know this was a drug sensitive industry when I went through the training at the school. Had I known this I would have gotten off it sooner.

7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which state do you live in?
    Don't risk it with Swift; they may be doing hair follicle tests now that Knight Transportation manages the company.

8. slash334

slash334 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Texas

9. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Since you're no long on the meds, get a new DOT physical. As long as those narcotic meds are showing on the long form, no company will hire you. DOT physicals are cheap at some places such as CVS Pharmacy or some chriopractor office that's authorized to give them. If you talk about some medicine you took in the past no company will hire you either.
    After you get the new physical, apply at Freymiller because they won't require another physical and will accept your long form.
    Here's some more, but Freymiller would be my first choice:
    Magnum Ltd.
    Navajo Express
    TransAm

10. slash334

slash334 Bobtail Member

Jul 27, 2017
    I called the DOT examiner where I got my physical and they said I can't redo my physical for atleast 2 years. I'm gonna try my luck with an oil field company hauling a tank. They'll surely hire me on right away.

11. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Yes, it will be held against you! Then it will take several months to start working because you'll have to attend a SAP program first.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.