New CDL and getting insurance

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by dztruck, Feb 22, 2017.

1. dztruck

dztruck Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2017
    hi everyone, this is my very first post. Ive just made a life choice to go into trucking. I had a few friends who are O/O and ive decided to risk it and do it.

So far ive completed truck driving school, went otr with my friend for 3 weeks to learn and see the life and i believe i can do it.

I got my DOT and am ready to buy a truck and hit the road. Ive only had my CDl for 3 months.

My concern right now is insurance as a few places have denied insuring me since i am a new driver. Ive already found a truck and have the down payment and about 20k set aside for emergencies.

Do you guys know the best way or place to get insurance for a new cdl driver? Any information will help. I will probably be on this forum a lot to learn from you guys. Thanks in advance for all your help!

-Don

DRAGON64 and flyerjon Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    BTW im also located in Las Vegas NV and intend to run the regional. Mostly so cal/nor cal phoenix

4. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    Probably kinda tough getting insurance with you not having any experience in the trucking business

dztruck Thanks this.
  5. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    Yeah progressive said they no longer insure anyone with less than a year. Ive got a few others getting me quotes as i type this. Just wondering if anyone here is doing the same thing or has done it in the past.

6. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    Probably should be a company driver for a year or two to make sure this the route you want to take. Then once you got experience you should be able to get insurance somewhere. Personally I wouldn't give you insurance either if all you did was ride with you buddy's for a couple weeks.

7. flyerjon

flyerjon Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2017
    not many out there however progressive maybe getting back into new drivers soon

dztruck Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    @Jeck

Jeck Thanks this.
  9. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Years ago you just bought a truck and started hauling....Before dereg it was mostly exempt out and trip lease back....Now, it's tough to break into it...You may need to lease on with a carrier for awhile and run under their numbers/insurance...Even some of them want experience first...Where are you based and what lanes are you looking at? If you want too run bad enough, you'll find a way..

dztruck, wore out and Jeck Thank this.
  10. Jeck

Jeck Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2017
    So maybe it would be smart to get some experience on someone else's bill. I just don't want to sign a contract, have a camera in my face or earn less if I can help it,

DRAGON64 Thanks this.
  11. dztruck

Feb 22, 2017
    Yes, ive actually been thinking about this for a long time. I finally got laid off from my office job and said screw it. Im 34 with 2 kids and own a house. But my wife makes decent money and she can pay all the bills with her job. This is my own venture and i will hate to be an old man and look back and say i never did it.

Ive heard of guys being quoted 13k a year. Im fine with putting down 3-4k and paying monthly for my first year.

12. Jeck

Jeck Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Omaha Nebraska. Have a friend who just bought his own. Pays the dispatcher for plates, insurance etc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.