New company hauling Frac sand called Sand Box

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by roadtech, Jun 28, 2017.

1. dorset

dorset Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2009
    i drive leased sandbox equipment for stingray pressure pumping. the lowboys are custom-built for the box, with camlocks for two boxes empty or one full. we have our own fraccing contracts and buy our own sand, then just use the leased sandbox stuff to carry it from the sandyards to the well pads.

the system is a spectacular improvement over cans, both for the driver and the frac operation. unless the pad is slow, i'm in and out and 15 minutes. i don't even have a respirator.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Concho 55

Concho 55 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Was thinking about buying a truck and trailer for hauling sandbox frac sand. My son has his own business as a completion consultant and has been very busy in SE NM. Was wondering if anyone knows what a load pays? Thanks.

4. muthertrucker210

muthertrucker210 Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2016
    I know the rate in oklahoma is $350 up to 50 miles per load.

Rodeorowdy and Concho 55 Thank this.
  5. Concho 55

Concho 55 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Thanks for the info, he was talking about $450 a load and I'm unsure of the mileage. Thanks again.

6. MagnumaMoose

MagnumaMoose Lost or Missing

Jan 18, 2018
    Most sand rates are based on "bands" of mileage. There is a minimum charge for a "band" of usually 0-50 miles, then a higher rate from 50-100 miles, then it expands again at so much per mile over 100. Of course different contracts can be agreed to but that is an industry standard. The rates go lower with more miles but it always meets the minimum. Anything else is an extra charge. Good system because it's based on a minimum time involved with additional cost for additional time.

Rodeorowdy and Concho 55 Thank this.
  7. Concho 55

Concho 55 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Thank you MagMoose, we have talked about truck, trailer, maintenance, insurance, permits etc. I don't know a lot about the business but my son has been in it for 10 years. I'm just trying to get as much input from a different perspective. He thinks I could recoup my investment in 2 years " IF ' oil prices stay up. I believe that he can get the contracts. I thank you your time. We'll see what happens!!!

MagnumaMoose Thanks this.
  8. muthertrucker210

muthertrucker210 Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2016
    From what I have heard, all of the maintenance sandbox is responsible for. And they do not charge a rental fee for it.

One thing I thought was odd is they are not currently taking on new carriers from the o/o’s I had talked to. So I called sandbox and they did confirm that was true for the past 3 months.

The rates sound good as long as you can turn and burn multiple loads a day. Good luck

Concho 55 Thanks this.
  9. Concho 55

Concho 55 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Thanks again for y'all's input. I just have to get with my son and see what's up.

10. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    I did Sandbox in Oh and Pa last Aug/Sept. Before the Eld, no problem. Now, not so much. With the 14 hr clock, it could go either way. Some days, I got 3-4 loads in. Some days, I got loaded and sat while the well got serviced. I sat one day at the staging area for 28 hrs, one day for 18 hrs.myou are at the mercy of the well head.
    All said and done, I did $7-8k a week in Oh and $3-4k per in Pa. Would NEVER be able to do this in an ELD era. That's the reason they are hiring like crazy

Concho 55 Thanks this.
  11. Concho 55

Concho 55 Bobtail Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Thanks for your input. West Texas and New Mexico is where he's at and has been super busy. Hopefully oil prices will keep up because it's insane what he's bringing in. Wish I could head out now but have to get a few things done first. Can't wait, Thanks again.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.