New Computer

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by shifty, Jul 11, 2011.

1. shifty

shifty Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Conway, AR
    Hey guys im a "Retired Gamer" (lol) and im looking to build a new computer. When I built my current one it was pretty good. Im not gonna say top of the line because it was far from that. I built it in 2003 so it is REALLY REALLY ancient now. but non the less it runs somewhat good.

Specs:
    Asus P4P800SE
    Pentium 4 3 ghz 800 mhz with Hyper Threading
    1.5 gig of ram
    Nvida Gefore 6800 GT w/ OC
    500gb SATA HDD
    Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

So its nothing super but it worked well for gaming. But what im asking. What should I get? I want something along gaming.

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Check out Alienware for the hottest gaming computers. I'll warn you their prices will cause shock, but they would be a good source for ideas on what to look at putting in one.

4. shifty

shifty Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Conway, AR
    I forgot about them. I might just do that.

5. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Alienware is now owned by Dell so you will actually go to Dell's site to see those now.

Are you building a desktop? Because if you built your last one then I assume that you have the skills to do that. If so, then you can build a gaming rig to your exact needs using sites like NewEgg or TigerDirect much cheaper than you can buy one pre-built. This is not the case with the discount systems (non-gaming) which are pretty hard to build for the same price as you can buy them. But a full-on gaming rig you can build youself much cheaper if you have that know-how.

6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Bugger Alienware! You can spec out and build an exact copy for approx. 30% less money!

Linte_Loco Thanks this.
  7. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    Build your own, you can build one better than anything the big box companies can make.. What ever you do, DO NO USE TIGER DIRECT. They are by far the worse company to buy anything from.. Plus their customer support is garbage...

CondoCruiser Thanks this.
  8. AZS

AZS Honk if anything falls off

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    Newegg is your friend. Definitely build your own, these days its actually quite easy. Avoid alienware.

Linte_Loco and CondoCruiser Thank this.
  9. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio

I bought something from them once. If you ever do business with them, give them a throw-away email address. I gave them mine, and I literally had to quit using it, because I started getting 200-300 spam emails a day. Tigerdirect will sell your email address in a heartbeat.

10. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    Nothing wrong with Alienware, other than it's way overpriced. You can get the same components in a Dell XPS and save a few hundred bucks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.