New Conway Driver

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by strat24, Mar 27, 2010.

1. strat24

strat24 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Illinois
    What can a new hire expect with Con-Way? Will it be filling in when someone calls in or a extra load pops up? How hard is it to get into a pick up/ delivery type position? Are weekends off?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Depends on which division your asking about. I'm on my 4th wk with conway freight.They work on senority and we bid jobs annually. I trained pick-up and delivery for 3 days and then night line haul for the next 4. Since then I've been doing nights and that will continue thru next wk. At that point the've asked what I wanted to do and I chose daytime P&D. Will still be forced on line haul but if a day vs night job comes down to me I'll work the days, mostly filling in for vacations.
    At the start of the week you'll be told your working either days or nights and work that thru the entire wk.I won't bid line haul till I am at full scale here in MN. which is 23+ p/h and .53 cent p/m. P&D do around 50-60K a year and L/H 60-90K+ depending. Not bad for being home every day/night and week ends off. They are very structured and ridgid w/ policy and if you can deal with that I'd tell you to get in quick. I've got 4 guys under me already.Their freight div. seems to be growing.
    Hope this helps.Good luck.

4. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    From the wording of your question I'm pretty sure you're asking about the Freight division. That's an impossible question to accurately answer because things vary so much from location to location but I'll do my best..

Keep in mind I'm only basing this off what I see and in no way am I telling you exactly how it would be..

With as busy as we are you'll probably work every day/night and use your entire 60/70 hours depending on what log book your location runs. We are only scheduled to work M-F but with the amount of freight we have Saturday runs are the norm anymore at the bigger locations. That work is ask from the top force from the bottom - basically, if there are 5 drivers needed for Saturday they ask the most senior driver with hours available first. If 4 want to work the 5'th would be forced meaning the bottom driver on the seniority list providing they have hours. Night line-haul, which is what I do, runs Monday night through Friday night which means I work into Saturday morning - we are home daily though. It's like a 12 hour 3'rd shift.

As far as getting a P&D position, that varies by location. At my terminal line-haul is what most want so P&D is easy to get. There is no set amount of time but I know new drivers here are getting bids P&D/line-haul faster than ever since we're so busy. I guess the best thing I could tell you as far as what to expect is erratic hours, not so great trucks or runs at first, and feeling lost because of the fast pace, but it's a great driving job and a good company overall to work for. Plus, you're paid hourly for everything you do - drop/hook, fueling, dock, waiting behind an accident, watching company videos, wait time after an hour, and the list goes on.

I've been here a little over 6 years and although I get frustrated at times, I personally like the job and the company I work for a great deal. Some that work here won't see it this way, but my experience has been if you put in your time and pay your dues it will pay off - if I have control over it this will be the last job I have unless I'm self employed.

5. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    23 hr and .541 mileage at top-scale right now - should get the pay rate back over 23 and .555 soon. Very accurate with yearly totals although on a 70 hour book you could easily break 100K on line-haul- believe me, I'm doing the math in case we end up on a 70 on the East Coast.

6. strat24

Oct 11, 2009
    Illinois
    Sounds good thanks for the info.

7. strat24

Oct 11, 2009
    Illinois
    Do hourly people get overtime after 40?

8. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    At an X terminal (XGH, XNJ, XDP, and so on), yes. OT is paid after 8 so if you work a 10 and a 6 you still get 2 hours OT. This does not apply to line-haul though unless you're on the dock there for over 8 hours - rare.

9. FRUNKUS

FRUNKUS Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2010
    .IOWA. Hawkeye's
    Freight. $18.24 hr should be Nationwide starting wage O/t After 8
    New hire ...1-2 Weeks of Training paid up to 40 hrs during training .
    so if you work 50 hrs during training you only get paid for 40 hrs .
    90 days till Benefit's .

10. Boomer08

Boomer08 Light Load Member

May 26, 2010
    What about truckload. Are they out 3 weeks at a time or is it more like 2 weeks? Conway is on my shortlist as is Schneider. Right now Schneider is number one as I would have a regional run that would get me home every weekend. But something in the back of my head keeps telling me to go with Conway. Time is short so I will have to make a decision soon.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.