New DOT and MC #'s Insurance

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SteveScott, Jul 13, 2018.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Well, it's only taken 2 months but I finally was able to obtain a quote for insurance for new DOT/MC numbers. I live in California, and attorneys out here are litigation crazy and love to file lawsuits against trucking companies. So consequently many companies will not write new policies for new O/O's at all, and those few that do charge you through the nose.

The first call I made a couple months ago was to Progressive, and they won't issue a policy on numbers newer than 2 years. Then I went to OOIDA and they wouldn't write new policies on numbers less than 4 years old. They did email me a list of several brokerages and I tried 4 of them. They took my information, and 3 weeks later still no word back. Finally I went online and found Reliance Partners and spoke with an agent. She said that companies won't issue a binding quote until you have your MC number. So I asked her how I'm supposed to do that when I can't get a MC number without insurance. She said that you file for the number, and they give you a temp number until you have secured insurance. She did say that she could run me through her quote program and give me an accurate quote which I had her do. This quote is through Lloyd's of London, and they are "A" rated.

$800 General Cargo Insurance $100k limit. Can be raised with advanced notice.
    $12,338 Physical damage to my truck. I based this on a new KW T680 and reefer value $230k
    (The above amount can vary greatly if I get a used and much less expensive truck and/or trailer)
    $13,000 Auto Liability. This is for $1 million coverage for damage/liability/medical payments to others
    $800 If I want an additional $2 million in liability or an umbrella policy, this is the cost for that

So if I take it all I'm looking at $26,938 total or $2,244 per month just for insurance.

What a bargain huh? I'm thinking maybe I'll forget trucking and go back into insurance.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I've only had my CDL for 3 years and I have no accidents or tickets. Totally clean record.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    kee1227, Brettj3876, TallJoe and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    Funny I thought the same thing about selling insurance next! Commercial only like my guy...I would only do trucks!

That seems really high IMO.

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  4. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    Yeah it is really high. I owned an insurance brokerage for 30 years and made a great living. Retired from that and for some stupid reason decided I wanted to be an O/O. Now I wish I could find brokers as good as my former employees. I could be making a fortune.

5. CDL CPL

CDL CPL Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Iowa
    And it don't get any cheaper for at least 2 years with a clean record.

6. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
  7. Tolmie

Tolmie Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Will it be cheaper if getting insurance in NV for new DOT and MC?

8. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    Probably. California is about the most expensive. But it still won't be that cheap.

Tolmie Thanks this.
  9. CDL CPL

CDL CPL Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Iowa
    Don't think so really..we are based out of Iowa and ours was $2100 a month with progressive. We are in our 3rd year and down to about $1600 a month with a different company

10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    You're talking equipment payments(assuming they exist) + insurance in the range of 6-7K a month. Not very sexy, if you ask me.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  11. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    That's what I was thinking. Hopefully everything works out smooth for you so you can get some cash in the coffers.

From reading on here and from talking to my dad it seems like the smaller insurance companies offer the best rates compared to progressive and the likes. Hang in there and you'll be paying less than 10 k a year

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.