New driver for intermodal

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by makeit, Mar 16, 2013.

1. makeit

makeit Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Central, Fl
    Hi all, a little background I have been driving class b for six years local, I recently upgraded to class A and want to drive intermodal as owner op locally any info or pointers would be great it seems everyone wants 2 years tractor trailer exp. I don't mind starting as a company driver but im sitting great where im at now as pay and benefits and so on. I really would like to know if its possible to drive your own truck and learn or be hired for intermodal. Thanks p.s I live in central fl Lakeland between tampa and orlando

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    If you have the money you can purchase any truck you wish. Most carriers are going to require 2 years experience, doesn't usually matter if it is as an owner operator or a company driver. That is what is slowing you down. Your time as a straight job driver almost doesn't count. I assume you want to do intermodal because of the operating radius allows frequent hometime. Tough way to make a living in my view, take a look at the trucks in that field and you will get the picture. Minimum revenue = minimum truck. And the chassis are junk.

4. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    In Chicago you don't even have to speak English to get a truck and pull intermodal, I can't imagine something like experience would hold you back. and you have a real license, I'd say you are overqualified for intermodal

SHC Thanks this.
  5. makeit

makeit Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Central, Fl
    My interest in intermodal is home time sounds weird but I love driving but do not care for living in my truck. I'm not rich but I'm capable of buying a good truck and maintaining it truck will be paid for no payment here. I don't need the biggest pay check I just wanted other opinions on where to look to get a start as a owner op so I have a little control of where I'm going and what I'm doing even if I have to start hauling something else.

TmGM Thanks this.
  6. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

The REPUTIBLE intermodal outfits ( yes there are some out there ) will want 2 years experience if your under 25 , 1 year if your over 25 of age to sign you on as an O/O.

7. makeit

makeit Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Central, Fl
    Thank you Flatbed

8. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    There are many jobs in orlando for dump truck drivers. The trucks are tandem axle good home time with benefits. Any job with pay better then intermodal.

Fiddle Sticks Thanks this.
  9. losttrucker

losttrucker Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2008
    greenville,nc
    Um, how is hard it to make a living doing Intermodal??

I usually run 1500 to 1800 miles a week, home everyday by about 5 or 6, weekends off all the while clearing $1500 to $2000 a week after fuel. Not setting the world on fire by any means by to be honest few guys who are leased on running the road do much better, if better at all.

As far as the trucks go, the trucks may look bad, but most are very mechanically sound running trucks. Yea the paints not shiny, fenders flopping, or look bad, but the DOT is ALWAYS lurking somewhere around the ports or a backroad Matter of fact, most of the trucks on the side of the road are the "newer" trucks!!

10. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    he calculates his pay gross - fuel ! lol

11. losttrucker

losttrucker Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2008
    greenville,nc
    No, I pay myself $650 a week...........

The rest is put into a seperate bank acct for maintenance, quarterly taxes(learned my lesson on that) Trucks paid for, rebuilt rears, bottom end, front suspension, and transmission swap.

Nice try at a jab though

I didnt realize I needed to breakdown how I distribute my settlement. I just posted what it is after fuel as in to the truck......

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    mightytrucker, SHC and wis bang Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.