New driver for intermodal

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by makeit, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Check Comtrak website; it might be a fit for intermodal.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

4. MoGooder

MoGooder Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Kenosha, WI
    JB Hunt website says 6 months experience for O/O and gross $150,000. They go into Fl, maybe Tampa? Talk to a recruiter. Recruiters do not work for JB Hunt and are known to lie. You show up for orientation and they get paid. Find O/O leased to JB for the facts. DO NOT LEASE PURCHASE, EVER!!!

5. makeit

makeit Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Central, Fl
    Thank you to all! I have been watching job hunt 150k does sound pretty high. I guess I will most likely buy my truck get it set up and wait till the opportunity comes along. I can get exp where I'm at but I'm ready for a change. I'm thinking older kenworth or newer freightliner for my truck. Do any of you running containers run your own authority or just lease on ?

6. Driver of the year

Driver of the year Medium Load Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tampa FL
    Listen makeit, i live in Tampa and the Port of Tampa is having a major face lift in Port Containers. The I-4 overhead bridge is being built so no need in the future to drive across ebor city, Mediterranean the second biggest shipping container in the world is doing business here in tampa. The Panama Canal expansion will flood this city with thousands of more Containers when built in 2015, Governor Rick Scott of Florida already signed treaties with the Panamenian Gov. so yes, it's very good business right now and in the future for containers. I used to hear stories of how containers will mess your tractor up and how heavy the containers are? bull! i run tampa, orlando clearwater, brooksville and three runs a week to a port in the east coast that i dont want to mention because i know FL DOT's are reading my post and they might show over there but yea, the tractors that are busted with torn fenders is because they buy cheap chinese tires and it blows and tears the fiberglass fenders on the hood, the trucks that have oil all over the ground is trucks that the driver cant maintained because the company is not paying them enough to maintain the trucks because that company has shareholders like Link America out of Georgia. Almost applied before i went with my company. Im leased to an Eastern European that runs his company. It's a small family owned and he gives us alot of flexibility. Works with us. This week i went 4 times to the east coast plus the local runs. Made this week after expenses $2,300. When you are ready, buy a good dependable truck. I bought a Schneider national used truck, the same one in my profile picture, now in a different color and schneider did a good job service wise. I see alot of day cabs. Now we have a contract pulling empty soda cans going to to the other port in the other side of th state and the container and tractor weighs less than 40,000 pounds. No fuel wasted, back haul is an empty contaner being paid both ways. $30.00 dollars after two hours for detention in the shippers. Easy job, feel guilty for the other drivers that havr to tarp or unload tankers like i used too. Orlando runs alot coming from jacksonville florida. Miami is a port that is too crowded and you might wait 6 hours for a box. Get your two years comapny driving, clean record a must. Ins. companies wont allow you on the Container company you want to aplly, get your Twic Card to get in the port. This business like i said before will be the gig of the future and i should've made my move towards containers long ago! Dont believe the bad stigma that container trucks have. They dont understand this business, since i started hauling for this gig, i have never brought a back load and still am paid like i did! there is no mouintains in Florida like you and i know and we are off weekends. Email me if you have any questions. I had the same questions you have when i was doing the over the road fiasco. Ended being my best move in trucking answering a Craiglist add.

7. makeit

makeit Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Central, Fl
    Driver of the year , thank you this is my goal I'm just fighting my way to get in somehow I'm facing the exp problem just like when I started driving my straight truck. I can get exp with tractor trailer now but its minimal and I'm ready for a change.

8. STL1

STL1 Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you currently have a company job? If you're sitting great with pay and benefits now, that sounds really good. I clearly don't know the intermodal market in FL but in the Midwest, it's tough to get good rates and if the motor blows up in the truck you buy, you may be out of business. I know a few owner operators in intermodal and some do well but none of them are making a killing. Just mentioning because if you currently are setup great, you may just want to enjoy that.
    Regardless though, Good luck whatever your decision is.

bender Thanks this.
  9. Driver of the year

Driver of the year Medium Load Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Tampa FL
    The difference with Florida and the rest of the country except, new york, new jersey and california, they are cutting everybodies throat through cheap rates just to get the loads. Thats why i din't apply with Link America out of Savannah GA. They will nickle and dime the drivers. They used to be a Family own Company. Drivers did very good. They sold and Link America came and paid the drivers peanuts! No let me explain the Container business. States like Florida, Miami controlled by the Cubans. You have to know somebody to get in that circle and get the loads. New Jersey, New York, the Sopranos contril that business. Got to know somebody to be succesful or you will get the long hauls and mountain routs which is hard on the tranny. California, same thing. So all makeit has to do is get a company job, save your money, pay cash for a good truck, low fuel consumption, Detroit engine, Power, cat Expensive parts and low MPG. I happend to be in the right place and the right time. Fuel, i buy my fuel in the Marathon gas station for $3.88 a gallon. Another Container myth. I have never had a blow out. Always make sure your container tires have the 85 psi. They have a tube inside and if it's heavy, dont run more than 55 mph. The up and down movement created by the weight will blow a tire.

bender and Fiddle Sticks Thank this.
  10. Container Hauler

Container Hauler Light Load Member

May 16, 2012
    Long Beach CA
    Intermodal isn't as bad as every one thinks... Its like everything else the long wait at the Ports = same as long waiting times at shippers and receivers. In the 5 years I've been doing this I've only had 1 blow out on the chassis. Its all about checking them out before committing to use that chassis, a simple P.T.I.
    goes a long way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

losttrucker Thanks this.
  11. rherndon1971

rherndon1971 Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2013
    I have several friends that run intermodals along the I-4 corridor and they love it!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.