New driver for intermodal

Discussion in 'Intermodal Trucking Forum' started by makeit, Mar 16, 2013.

1. makeit

makeit Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Central, Fl
    The I 4 corridor also looks very full of containers also hwy 60. Anybody familer with fmx? I believe there out of jaxonville

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    My .02 re: container hauling, the likes of this business for me are, off on the weekend's, working within the state, empty back to port, detention paid after 2 hours, good dispatcher, ..........................the dislikes, money is low just like i'd been warned, some loads are Heavy, heavy loads your expected to go around the scales.

4. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    here's how I breaddown my pay, since we don't do lots of miles I track my hours, I take my settlement, subtract fuel then divide net gross by hours...................EX. 2265.00 minus 935.00 for fuel divide by 62 hours............how do some of you other guys figure up your time/worth?

5. makeit

makeit Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Central, Fl
    Most people are saying low money. My concern is making a fair pay as long as I can maintain my truck afford to fuel it and collect a fair share for myself I will be pleased. I'm not expecting to break the bank after all the time spent at HOME at night and weekends is worth the trade off for some extra pay imo. I just have to try and find my way into it with little tractor trailer exp it sucks having 6 years mean next to nothing even though I'm familer with the dot regs after all the driving part is what is natural

6. makeit

makeit Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Central, Fl
    Thanks for your info Bigray

7. NSBGearjammer

NSBGearjammer Medium Load Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Sunshine State
    About to have 2 years with my current OTR outfit and looking to get work out of the FL ports with my own truck next year. I live <1 hr from Canaveral and am trying to get info on companies to look into/stay away from and if any Floridian doing this would be willing to mentor/answer questions, please shoot me a PM. Thanks.

8. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm here, I get alerts to my email on threads I have posted in. always willing to offer up my experience and advice.

9. RAINBOWDADDY1

RAINBOWDADDY1 Bobtail Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Hey Guys Need REAL advice here !
    Currently company driver with CK out of Savannah. Home every night. Off weekends. Start out Macon area PU in Savannah run to ATL area then go home approx 600 mile triangle run, consistant 2800-2900 miles per week.....BUT....getting killed with those drayage fees. Have my TWIC but dont want to risk getting stuck waiting in port cause they stuck me with a new 2013 FL ! She's pretty but the #### thing is set up for a team and has nothing under the hood.....if Im pulling a heavy 20' triaxle Im dying on the hills up to ATL. Im lucky if I clear $800 after maxing out on hours almost every day ! Are there ANY intermodal companies out of Savannah that I can lease on with where I can actually make a decent living with. CLEARING a consistant $1700 or $1800 would be a nice start ! The O/O guys @ CK are getting killed with nickel and dime charges for EVERYTHING so they are NOT an option. Like alot of you guys I have NO problem busting my "keester" to support a large family I just want to get paid for once for doing so ! Is that asking so much ?.....HELP !!

10. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    try a smaller outfit or one that only does rails only, may be jbhunt intermodal, or any company that has contract with some of the big ones

11. Flatbedder73

Flatbedder73 Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2012
    Langhorne, PA
    Which ones are you referring to? I might check it out, but I live in NJ and almost EVERY chassis I see has wobbly wheels and graffiti all over the back doors....unattractive, unless you are a DOT cop.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.