New Driver Help

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by McNeilly.Mark40, Feb 28, 2020.

1. McNeilly.Mark40

McNeilly.Mark40 Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2020
    Hey guys I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips when it comes to downshifting at low speeds. I am a new driver practicing with an Eaton Fuller 10 speed trying to obtain a CDL and I am having trouble when it comes from shifting from 6th to 5th. I cannot seem to get this shift down properly and it's very hit and miss and i was wondering if there are any special tools or tricks that i can use. Please no BS just a new driver looking for some quality help from those with more experience than me and who have maybe been in my shoes at one point.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    Welcome. Plenty of suggestions out there all ready. I suggest searching "Shifting" in the search box up on the right. You can also ask questions in those existing threads as well. But again welcome aboard.

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    It generally 400 RPM step between gears. So if you in 6 gear slow to 1,200 RPMs get it in neutral and raise engine 400 RPMs to 1,600 and it should go in gear.

tarmadilo Thanks this.
  5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Another thing most trucks won't go higher then 1,800 RPMs so if you tired to downshift at say 1,500 RPMs you would need to get engine up 400 RPMs or 1,900 RPMs to get it in gear. The computer will only let engine go to 1,800 RPMs. So it basically impossible to get it in gear when you start at 1,500 RPMs

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Practice, every truck is a little different.

I drive my truck most of the time, no issues. But I'm also the guy that runs other people's units into and out of the repair shop, and honestly it take me about a mile before I get the "knack" dialed in.

Also, downshifting to the low side? Is anyone REQUIRING you to do this? You're under 20mph usually you just ghost to a stop.

Then again I was in stop and go traffic Thursday and I was going between 5th & 6th constantly. Just gotta find the groove.

7. McNeilly.Mark40

McNeilly.Mark40 Bobtail Member

Feb 28, 2020
    Thank you for the suggestions! Nobody is necessarily requiring me to do this i am unsure if i need to demonstrate this on the cdl test. I live in new york and the manual is very brief on the subject and nowhere does it say this is a requirment to come to a stop on the low side. Most of the time in my experience it really doesn’t make sense given many traffic situations

8. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Oh you'll need the skill eventually.

It just so happens 3 days ago I was in stop and go traffic and the speed we were fluctuating at was right between 5th & 6th. Annoying.

But you can't park and wait until everything's perfect, capiche?

9. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    It's ok to have the gear selector already down while running in 6th when and if you are anticipating a downshift to 5th.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.