new driver with swift

Discussion in 'Swift' started by seekeroftruth, Jul 14, 2008.

1. kurbski

kurbski Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2008
    NE Florida
    Best of luck with your new job. Was Gary in Ocala your recruiter? I have been researching quite abit about going otr,training and eating on the road. last week, I purchased a burton oven at TA south of JAX on sale for $25.00. it plugs into a cig lighter and you can cook anything in the foil pans. Depending on what your trainer has available(micro,fridge,etc..), hopefully he doesn't eat at a restaurant every meal. But you can buy a burton and eat healthy/inexpensive, then get foil pans at walmart or use heavy duty foil inside the cooker. Roaddog - Sirius 147 had roadcookin as guests on the morning show. Pretty good recipes on that site.

Please keep us posted. There is light at the end of the tunnel ... hopefully it isn't New Jersey.:biggrin_2559:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2008
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CivilWerks

CivilWerks Light Load Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Just remember your first two or three months in the truck are the hardest. Learn all you can and don't let the ######## out there affect your life. You ae in charge of your destiney. Go for it!

4. boonie2

boonie2 Bobtail Member

Aug 12, 2008
    palm springs , florida
    SEEKEROFTRUTH ? seems were in the same situation here , the economy in florida has tanked for me also , wife and 2 kids , thinking of going to "roadmaster" in orlando then getting on with "swift" soon ... Ive driven for 9 yrs before moving here but along time ago 1981-1990 .... WISH YOU ALL THE BEST

5. DragginMan

DragginMan Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2007
    north AL
    Go to SAMS, get the foil in the food service industry Blue Box. Cut to size already, box of 500 singles are $10 or so, works WAY better than foil roll. Also, line the pan + cover with another, cooks faster, more thorough.

kurbski and inthewindaz Thank this.
  6. Steelaworkn

Steelaworkn Bobtail Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    New to the forum here...I'm in the process of transitioning to trucking...planning on going with Swift...training in Lewiston. What size duffel bag should I take while training with the mentor and where does a guy use the RR. Sounds kind of funny but I've heard rumors of drivers drilling holes and doing the astronaut thing through the floor of the truck. So what's the most common thing. Obviously a guy can't just stop every five minutes for the RR.

7. kurbski

kurbski Light Load Member

Jul 6, 2008
    NE Florida
    Appreciate the tip and will go buy some of those at Sam's. Thanks

8. gpgtp2005

gpgtp2005 Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2008
    Tacoma, Wa
  9. Steelaworkn

Jul 23, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    Not official, but I'm thinking of going near the end of September. I don't want to wait until there is snow on the ground to be a student driver, that's for sure.

10. Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2007
    PO Dunk Idaho
    Unless you get a real bad mentor or trainer, you should be able to stop for RR when needed, but then dont drink as much liquids as you would sitting in an office or something when you can go every 5 minutes. The more miles you can run in a day the more money you will make. Say hi to Dave Smith in Lewiston terminal for me, he is a driver manager did have his desk right by the front door of the office.

11. Steelaworkn

Jul 23, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    I used to live in Mosow for 4 years. I'm very familiar with Lewiston and still have family there. If and when I go, I'm planning on bringing my Mt. Bike so I can shop at the nearby grocery store.

Funny, I spent a lot of time at the Redway loading docks and never even noticed the Swift terminal...right behind the docks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.