New drivers

Discussion in 'Watkins & Shepard' started by dadischeap, Jan 23, 2013.

1. biggbowler

biggbowler Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Wills Point, Tx
    Not to take anything away from W&S, but I know from personal experience that Central Refrigerated is a good company to train and drive with where you live. They will most likely offer you a dedicated Kraft route after your training, which pays more than their typical OTR loads.

Central's traing is two weeks of classroom and 28 days with a trainer, which really helps you to get familiar with your new career choice. Good luck in whichever company you choose and try to learn as much as possible before getting out on your own.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Your right. Iv only worked here for 5 years now. I don't know jack that goes on.
    I don't read the accident reports every week that come out that state the amount of years a driver has been driving, where the accident happened, or the truck/trl # listed.
    I never said that ALL of the wrecks are from those who have 10+ years AT WATKINS not the industry. I didn't say that the HIGHEST % was from trucks that had 2 people. I told you what I HAVE SEEN IN THE INDUSTRY WITH MY OWN EYES.

as others have posted, not everyone feels they news a trainer to go with. Some do. Some don't.
    Weather one has been driving 1 month or 50 years accidents happen. Some minor, some fatal.
    Its up to you as a driver to not ever be the cause of a wreck.
    Feel free to call and talk to the recruiting department. See what they tell you.
    Wrecks happen at every company. No company out here has a 100% perfect record on anything.

Also keep in mind that no matter what company you work for, home time is not the easiest to deal with. Some companies won't ever get you home and don't care what you have going on home either.
    Other companies try hard to get you home for the day you request. It all depends where you are and what the freight situation is like.
    Watkins try's hard to get their drivers home when they want to be there. As long as you keep your nose clean, pick up and deliver onetime, do what they ask, and kiss butt every once in a while you'll do fine with or with out a trainer.

And also, if you don't work at Watkins or have never been in a truck with me, don't question what I know or don't know about them.

pokerhound67 Thanks this.
  4. pokerhound67

pokerhound67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 30, 2012

hmm...seems you read neither my post nor your own. first, if you will now read my response to your original post, you will notice i questioned nothing about your post in regard to your company. in fact, just the opposite is true.

second, if you will go back and read YOUR first post, you will see that you said "THE major wrecks are (caused) by drivers with 10+ years experience". not SOME wrecks. THE wrecks. implying at least that a disproportionate amount of them are caused by 10 year veteran drivers. which is just a silly, ill-informed statement to make.

lastly, you said its "rare to see a solo backing and hitting stuff". maybe its rare in your experience, but its far from rare. and of course the implication was that two people, either teams or trainer situation, are MORE likely to have a backing accident. again, a silly, ill-informed statement that does not reflect the truth whatsoever.

i dont question your ability or knowledge as a driver, and didnt. i dont question your knowledge about WS, and didnt. but the rest of your post was FULL OF IT, and i said as much. sorry if that offends you, but your post was wrong, ignorant, misleading, and potentially offensive to 10+ year veteran drivers. felt it needed correcting.

5. BackIsSore

BackIsSore Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    USA
    soon2be has always been a high and mighty kid who has spoken from planet ignorance. Just one read on some threads in the W/S forum you'll see guys who've been hitting stuff less than a month out of the gate. But don't argue with him, he knows everything... he is the Watkins of the Shepard.

Dinomite and straitgrl Thank this.
  6. soon2betrucking

soon2betrucking Road Train Member

Sep 28, 2007
    Philadelphia, Pa
    Anyway, I'm not a " my dick is bigger " kind of person like most on here N out here. And not a kid either.
    To the OP. read the Wksh threads. You learn what you need to know.
    Good luck to where ever you go.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.