New efficiency stuff

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Russjac, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Russjac

Russjac Light Load Member

Apr 3, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Anybody know what mpg they are expecting to get on these trucks? When I sat down with Kermit, he's making it seem we should be running 8-9 MPG.
    My truck has never run that high except when I am deadheading. I just ran from Oregon to Georgia in 4 days in 4 non stop driving days.
    Cruise was at 57 mph, didn't go out of cruise except for downshifting on hills and traffic, carrying 43000 in the box. Each day I was 6.5 or lower MPG. I practice progressive shifting, though I have some blown shifts occasionally, but being on cruise as much as I was I don't see how I could get it
    higher. Meanwhile I get Qualcomm messages about not driving properly.

I don't get it, we are already the slowest company, and now they want us to go slower. What do you normally get and how do you get it, cause I don't understand this.

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    Why are you going 57 across country. Are you an owner op.

4. Russjac

Apr 3, 2012
    Las Vegas
    I was doing a test, keeping Rpms under 1300 as much as possible to see what my best MPG would be according to what they told me.
    BTW the company speed limit is now 59 MPH (55 in CA and OR) in case you haven't sat in on Kermit's class in Brooks, which (I'm told) everyone
    will have to take. Also more detailed tattlers are supposed to be installed in every truck soon.

5. Joker85

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    I have been to the class. And idk why you're costing yourself money to save may money. Aleast go 60 and the speed limit isn't 59 its 60 not a big difference but still.

6. Russjac

Apr 3, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Not costing me anything, had plenty of time to make delivery in Tampa on Monday, and I don't GAS about saving May money, I care about not getting hassled by my terminal manager.

7. Joker85

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    You're burning time off your 70. 40 min a day. Now you may be 2hrs short on a 2800 mile load. Thats an extra 270 miles you can't drive a week now. So at .36 thats 97 a week when I have a student thats $127a week. If you want to drive 57 and make 5k less a year then go ahead. The speed is 60 so yes you are costing yourself money. Even if you have plenty of time you're burning minutes off your 70

8. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    This is what I wrote about on Joker's thread about the Qualcomm knowing what you are doing. I posted my comments on page 5 as follows:

It's all about controlling and influencing driver habits for fuel consumption savings. May has been very proactive with this for some time now but especially the past year or so.

A 1/10th per mile increase on their whole fleet nets them many millions of dollars per year profit.

That's why they are implementing these software monitoring programs into SensorTracs in addition to putting more and more pressure on the driver to utilize proper driving/shifting techniques "or else."

Your mpg as stated under the circumstances sounds a little low. Could be more of a mechanical issue than a technique one. I used to average about 7.2 mpg on loads like that starting in Oregon going to Georgia.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    Russjac Thanks this.
  9. Joker85

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    Did they come out with a fleetwide qc message saying the speed limit is 59 or is that the speed out of your terminal?/

10. Russjac

Apr 3, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Kermit told me that in class

11. Russjac

Apr 3, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Everything you say is true, except that logistics isn't on top of thing enough to keep me rolling at max efficiency. As it is, I average about
    2500 miles a week, which is fine with me. Whenever I have tried to run super hard, I just ended up with more waiting time. Now I get to my
    deliveries 1-2 hours before appointment time and usually have a preplan before I make delivery.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.