New Entrant Safety Audit - MVR

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rtttcr, Jun 26, 2022.

1. rtttcr

rtttcr Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2021
    Hey Owner/Ops, those with their own authority, I received an mail to do a New Entrant Safety Audit. Our authority is about 8 months old.

All of the information requested looks easy enough to supply but had one question regarding MVR for drivers. My son and I are partners in the company and we only need to send in an MVR for one driver. Would you recommend just getting this from the DMV or do any of you have experience using companies such as MVRCheck and SambaSafety, two companies I found doing search?

Thanks,

Rick

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Just order it from your state DMV office. That is the least expensive method.

Make sure it is at least a three year history, ten year is better and is for the same driver you are providing the other info they request (medical cert, copy of DL, etc). Note that you should have had the MVR already, prior to the first trip operating, so if it isn't dated before your first trip the auditor can fine you for not having completed a proper driver qualification file before beginning operations but likely will not as the new entrant audit is normally educational in nature unless a serious violation (no drug test or not a valid license) is discovered.

rtttcr and wis bang Thank this.
  4. bonder45

bonder45 Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Williston, ND
  5. rtttcr

rtttcr Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    Reason for edit: Mistake
  6. rtttcr

rtttcr Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2021
    Ya, I somehow missed the MVR portion when getting everything turned in. As I recall, and not very well at that, is the query I ran in the clearing house I believed to meet the requirements, but now looking I see that wasn't the intended purpose of the query ... still required of course, but is in addition to the MVR.

Thanks,

Rick

Big Road Skateboard Thanks this.
  7. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I missed the MVR, pre employment drug test, consortium, and one other thing.

I assumed you got authority, insurance, and plates, then went truckin.

8. rtttcr

rtttcr Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2021
    Looking through the list had everything but the MVR. Drug test, consortium, etc. etc. all no problem.

I get the importance of most everything but the MVR as an owner/op seems a little much - am I not going to hire myself if I've had a ticket?? Last ticket I had was 30+ years ago, no turn on red. Spent 5 years turning at a light every day during the week then one day they put up new sign and as I made the turn I saw the new sign ... and shortly afterwards flashing lights in the rear view mirror - seems like a setup :)

Now, if I'm going to hire someone I get the due diligence of pulling the MVR.

-Rick

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You need to wrap your mind around the fact you are two different people in the same body.
    Person one is a business owner and must comply with all the owner requirements while person two is the driver and must comply with those requirements.
    In a nutshell the requirements aren't written for O/O's, but for everyone.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  10. rtttcr

rtttcr Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2021
    Yep, I know, just wishful thinking on my part, like exception clauses ;)

All-in-all it has been rather easy book keeping wise. I've had 3 IRS business audits so keeping books isn't a concern. That isn't to to say I haven't missed anything, I have, but I always received a little bit of a refund while also receiving helpful/useful information from the auditors.

-Rick

11. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Just pull yours directly from your home state's MVR website. Can't get any easier than that.

Big Road Skateboard Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.