New FM mode channel plan!

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by russbrill, Feb 14, 2022.

1. FLHT

FLHT Heavy Load Member

Aug 2, 2014
    What ya going to do for antenna ?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blaskowitz

Blaskowitz Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Central South Carolina
    Use the same one you have now? It is a mode change, not a frequency change. Same antennas will work on FM as work on AM, the same way that same antenna works on USB or LSB.

4. Blaskowitz

Blaskowitz Light Load Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Central South Carolina
    Also, people saying FM won't reach as far, won't follow curvature of Earth, etc, are full of it. Range, skip, etc, is determined by frequency, not mode. Comparing range on AM and FM broadcast is comparing apples and bananas. AM broadcast, using AM mode, is in what is called the Medium Wave part of the spectrum. It can carry long distances at night, shorter in daytime. FM broadcast, using FM mode, is on VHF. It's daytime and night time range is similar, though somewhat better reception may be realized at night.

I have worked Europe on 10m FM. Heard and talked across the country on VHF Low Band FM. One cool thing about FM, is its "capture effect" will usually allow the stronger signal to be decisively heard moreso than using AM, regardless of the frequency used.

5. FLHT

FLHT Heavy Load Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Thank you just put a new Firestick up

6. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    28? LOL! It's the second biggest AM skip channel behind 6. You're not going to be doing any FM on that channel.

7. Central_Scrutinizer

Central_Scrutinizer Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2019
    That is one reason why AM modes are still used for aircraft.

8. Central_Scrutinizer

Central_Scrutinizer Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2019
    Closer FM stations will be more easily heard because of the capture ratio phenomenon which 'eliminates' the reception of the noise and interference from farther away or weaker signals. It has nothing to do with propagation. Here is a simplified explanation of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_effect

9. russbrill

russbrill Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Is it just me, or are the CB manufactures moving REALLY Slow on the FM rollout for 11-meter equipment...

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  10. Night Stalker10

Night Stalker10 Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2017
    I'm sure they are moving slow. The manufacturers have probably been analyzing the market to see if its worth spending thousands of dollars just to make a CB radio work on FM. After all, a lot of guys are buying these import radios because they basically have a built in 40 to 70 watt amplifier and FM mode too. I imagine it would be hard to get people to invest in a real 4/12 watt CB radio just because it has FM capability. I think the President Andy CB has FM, are their sales going through the roof? I was just wondering.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    To get a radio through the approval process is a huge PIA.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.