New guy - just got my permit

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mmohn, Jun 2, 2023.

1. mmohn

mmohn Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2023
    Hey guys, I’ve been reading the forum here for quite a while really wanting to start a new career in trucking and finally decided to do it. I enrolled in a CDL course that starts july and just got my permit this week.
    I live in Tulsa and have been a software engineer for the last 16 years, working at the same company for the last 9. I started working from home during covid and needed to get out of the house a bit so I took a part time night job working the dock at Estes about a year and a half ago. They have a dock to driver program but I didn’t want to quit my regular job to do that without having a good driving job set in stone so I decided to just do the CDL course on my own.

I am wanting to find a local job(local is a must) amd would love working as a p&d driver or linehaul with Estes or any ltl company. But driver positions at Estes seem few and far between and there’s not much turnover. I have been able to hostle trailers a few times and my boss told me I can do more of that to get the experience with backing trailers and hooking up sets and things like that.
    I should have my CDL this august so I’m hoping the industry turns a round a bit by then. Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated, as far as what I should do between now and getting my CDL.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    Estes dock to driver isn't a "good driving job set in stone"?

homeskillet and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Hang in there with Estes until you get your cdl and all endorsements. Then make a move if Estes can't give you a driving job.

5. mmohn

mmohn Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2023
    It is a good program but the one guy I know who did it over a year ago still doesn’t have a dedicated route. He floats around and drives when needed. That’s not necessarily the problem, I wouldn’t mind that but it took a year for him to get to that point. He was still working the dock for the first year pretty much full time, and maybe driving a day or two a week.

6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Rideandrepair and mmohn Thank this.
  7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I'd hang with Estes. Pay your dues and you'll be rewarded down the road.
    And, by the way, welcome to the club.

8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Rideandrepair and mmohn Thank this.
  9. mmohn

mmohn Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2023
    I didn’t know these ltl companies hired new grads, it seemed like everything I saw required a year of experience. I’ll give them a look again.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Oh, and another thing to consider is that since there's "very little turnover", it usually means that it's a pretty good job......jus sayin

11. mmohn

mmohn Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2023
    Absolutely. The money seems to be pretty good with these places.

tscottme and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.