New guy saying hi

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by Hotdiggitydog, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Hotdiggitydog

Hotdiggitydog Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2018
    I will a newbie in the trucking world this coming April / May, have yet to decide if I want to drive flatbed or not (I have heard that it isn't as stable as dry / reefer?).
    I worked previously as a warehouse worker, but warehouse jobs can only go so far career-wise (and they didn't help my back much either). Just trying to make a living without destroying my body too quickly.
    Really looking forward to it though. No girlfriend or s/o, and I enjoy being alone and am actually looking forward to OTR because of it :p

phantom 310 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Where is your location?
    Are you in cdl school?
    Flatbed is stable if you're with the right company. Reefer is always stable even when freight slows down during some winter months for other types of trucking, reefer will pick up due to holiday celebrations and more food needed.
    Most reefer & dry van outfits have driver "no-touch" freight, so that good news for protecting the back and other joints in the body.

4. Hotdiggitydog

Mar 11, 2018
    Location is Stephens City, VA. Not in CDL school (the local CDL school is pretty bad according to a family member that went to it), so I was looking at perhaps a company with CDL training such as Prime. Flatbed piqued my interest as it would help me at least get some exercise and a little variety with loads, but having stable work would be my #1 priority.

The back and joints aren't too bad, but my current job is 8 hours straight (minus lunch) of 60lbs+ lifting and it's taking its toll.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  5. phantom 310

phantom 310 Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2017
    You'll probably make more money in the warehouse. Please do the math before jumping in. Many people don't and live to regret it. If you have a recruiter "helping" you just remember that everything they have told you is a lie.they wouldn't be able to make a living if they told people the truth.the truth is, you will work 90 to 100 hrs per week. For 1,000.00. Probably less starting out.BEFORE TAXES are taken out.so that will leave you with 750.00.800.00 if you're lucky.if you spend 20.00 a day eating and drinking you will have about 600.00 left.God help you if you made any advances.those will come off the top as well. So then you would have 500.00 or less to pay any bills you may have. If they tell you that you will average 3,000 miles per week that's a lie as well. 3000 is a good week if you add your miles up at the end of the year and divide that number by 52 your average will be more like 2000 or less. I don't know of any company drivers who are driving 156,000 miles per year. 104,000 is more like it. If you run pretty hard. So use 2000 miles or less per week to get an idea of what you will make. Your money will come in the from of bonuses and tax returns. Not simply driving. Loose your safety bonus and fuel bonus and whatever other bonuses they have nowadays and you might as well quit now. All I'm saying is do the math,the real math,not what the recruiter says and do your homework. A lot of people leave perfectly good jobs to drive a truck only to be seriously disappointed when they find out the recruiter lied about EVERYTHING and end up quitting within the first year. A lot of people, who done the research and started out with realistic expectations make it. I don't know the exact numbers but you'd be surprised how many people freak out when they realize their working, away from home for weeks and weeks,for 8 bucks an hour. Not trying to scare you and I hope you have a long fulfilling rewarding career driving. Just don't believe the hype!its not always what it's cracked up to be. Also keep in mind that you have to pay your dues in this industry. The better paying, better jobs in general will come with experience. Keep a good clean record and eventually you'll be able to pick and choose where you want to work for the most part.get tickets and mess up your DAC report or whatever and you'll be lucky to find a job. Sounds like you may be wanting to do it for the right reasons though which will serve you well. And I'm not talking about the money. People who drive because they like to drive and enjoy the lifestyle are the ones who make it. And eventually end up making pretty good money too.people who think that truck driving is the answer to all of their financial problems usually don't. Its another world otr.literally. a whole sub culture type of thing different language different way of doing everything. There's also a dark side that you should avoid at all cost.that peterbuilt that just went by may have a driver who's been up on meth all week with three teenage runaway prostitutes in the sleeper with the radio wide open partying down in their own little world.or it could be a 65 year old grandfather with 3 million safe miles under his belt and a nice retirement plan. You just never know. Just be careful about who and what you get involved in out there. Be careful be safe and good luck!!

homeskillet Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get exercise on your own terms; not dictated by freight. Carry a folding bicycle in the truck; it will fit in the sleeper and won't be subjected to road grime. Don't worry about steady work in trucking. If you have a strong work ethic, you'll be fine and when your dispatcher finds out he/she can depend on you, you'll be running the roads all the time.
    If that local cdl school is 160 hrs. then you should be ok with that.
    If you prefer trucking company school, there's several to look at:
    Contract Freighters - www.cfidrive.com - coast to coast dry van trucking.(hair follicle drug test)
    Roehl Transport - dry van/flatbeds/refrigerated. I'd go with the "National Fleet."(hair follicle drug test)
    Millis Transfer - dry van & runs eastern half of USA.
    Wil-Trans = refrigerated & runs eastern half of USA.
    Maverick Transportation - flatbeds & refrigerated.
    TMC - flatbed
    Schneider Bulk - tankers and probably the best pay of all these. Talk to a recruiter about the tanker division and school options.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  7. phantom 310

phantom 310 Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2017
    Just Google reviews on any company you're considering and try to make the most informed decision you can. YouTube also has a lot of videos of people in school or just starting out and sharing their experience as well as videos from experienced drivers just sharing their day to day activities. Get all the info you can about a company because believe me they will check all the info they can on you including social media.

8. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Hi. Welcome aboard the board.

I'm curious: Why aren't you considering tanker? You don't fingerprint freight, it's easy on your back, it's steady and it pays well. It's not real easy to find tanker work as a newbie, but with a good bit of digging, it's not impossible.

Just sayin'. Everybody has their preferences. Good luck with your new career!

Dan.S Thanks this.
  9. Hotdiggitydog

Mar 11, 2018
    Warehouses around here pay between $10-12 an hour. The one I work at now is the highest paying I've found around this area, and it's still only $400 / week (after taxes). Even if I do end up hating OTR, I can still stick it out for at least a year and then find something local. I know I'll have to pay my dues, I'm ok with that. And I know people are crazy. I remember not too long ago a story around here was some driver at the flying J near the WV line was messed up on meth and cut his peter off o_O

But if it's not on my terms, then I can't be lazy and make excuses and avoid it lol. Thank you for the list, I had looked at Maverick and Roehl, and also considered Prime as well. Not too sure if I could drive for Schneider (I worked for the company years ago and had issues with the boss so I did not leave on good terms). But since that was in the warehouse that may not be an issue as a driver.

Thank you, and really it was just narrowing down choices. I could always give it a shot later at least after I've had some experience.

Chinatown and homeskillet Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Schneider Bulk OTR you can "take home" between $1000 and $1500 weekly. Do 24 months with Schneider Bulk, then switch to Trimac Transportation OTR and make over $100,000.00 per year.

11. Hotdiggitydog

Mar 11, 2018
    Thanks for the info, I will definitely check them out!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.