New Guy--Schneider or Gordon?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by FluffyGuy, Apr 10, 2011.

1. FluffyGuy

FluffyGuy Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Fresno, California
    Hey everyone, I'm currently 20 and i've been checking out the forums for the last few weeks and finally decided to join. There is a lot of helpful information i've come across and unlike other forums I have been on, the people here actually seem to provide helpful useful information! :biggrin_25514:

Well to give you the readers digest version, I'm currently a junior in college planning on graduating in May of next year with a bachelors degree, but in the past few months i've really been drawn to the thought of driving. Dad owned his own trucking business so i've grown up around them all my life and thought why not give it a try as a OTR driver for a while since i don't have kids and home time isn't that important to me, and i'd like to see the country. I know its a challenging career where you don't make enough money for what you go through but thats life right?

So I have been reading up on Schneider and Gordon, I like that Schneider will put me through school, the Fontana station is only about 3 hours from my house. I know there are bad things i've read about them on here but theres always going to be people who have bad experiences, I think if i just keep my mouth shut and drive i should be fine. On the other hand i like how gordon is really focused on safety and seem to have a good overall record. If i went with schneider i would more likely do vans and i liked the western regional run, but i thought gordon was mostly reefer? could be wrong though. I think vans would be better for me to do but let me know your input!

Any info you can give helps, sorry about the long post :biggrin_25525:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Welcome aboard. Hopefully you'll find lost of information here to help you along the way. And getting a bachelors at 20, wow! You must be one smart cookie! :biggrin_255:

4. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Welcome to the party!

5. FluffyGuy

Apr 10, 2011
    Fresno, California
    Thanks!

And not really :biggrin_25512: haha

I wanted to be a police officer, so decided to major in criminology as soon as i got out of high school. I'll be 21 this october though and hopefully getting my CDL this summer.

6. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Welcome.

The short answer from me is thusly:

Schneider is a great place to start. Very good trainers for the most part. I've been pretty happy for the 3 1/2 hears I've been here (didn't go through their school), but lately things just aren't terrific, and I'm looking to move on.

Still many good things about SNI...just tired of the "new age" attitude of management going on. Unfortunately, many older companies experience this as the original owners retire or pass on, and the new "heads of the household" think that raw numbers are the only things that count.

Best of luck to you!

7. FluffyGuy

Apr 10, 2011
    Fresno, California
    Thanks a lot for the info and yeah i understand what you mean, im trying to decide now whether or not to go through their school. If you do from what i have read they only pay for 3/4 of the school the rest comes out of your paycheck and you have to sign a contract for 18 months i think?

8. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Gordon focused on safety. HA! Sept '10 in WY I got hit by a driver who had nosed into a spot and couldnt back out due to trucks behind him. Dec '10 in TN I got hit by a driver who thought he had to swing wide to avoid the truck to his right while exiting a spot, only to clip my mirror with his trailer. I know these are just 2 random, isolated instances, and I'm sure GTI really does have a lot of safe drivers out there, I just dont park next to GTI anymore for my own safety. :biggrin_25523:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  9. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    One thing you have to keep in mind is that a lot of companies wont hire a 21 y/o. My cousin is 21 or 22 now, and he works for SNI, so I know they will. I know that PAM, who I work for, limits driver applicants to 23 and over. I'm not sure about GTI.

That is how I feel. Single, no kids. I talk to my mom on the phone every day, and my dad about 2 or 3 times a week, so I dont really need to go home for them as often. You DEFINATELY dont make money if you're at home. :biggrin_25525:

Schneider is good, I even thought about going to them, but PAM responded first. If you have your endorsements, I'd say maybe work the tank division. My cousin started with them, and with ZERO experience, he started off $.02 more than what I made after a year. I don't know too much about GTI, but I see them all the time on the west coast, and more and more further out east nowadays. One thing I have learned, since you mentioned keeping your mouth shut and drive, is that if you always show up on time or early, and never turn anything down unless you cannot legally do it, then they seem (at least PAM does for me) to always call you when they need help with repowering a load or something. This is what I find helps me keep my miles up in the slower months because there are a LOT of drivers out there that do not keep track of their hours and run out, unable to make it to the delivery on time.

Good luck with the decision, remember to verify the age requirements (which I'm sure you have already done), and also remember to ALWAYS drive wreck-less-ly. :biggrin_255:

10. FluffyGuy

Apr 10, 2011
    Fresno, California
    Yeah i always drive wreck-less-ly haha and yeah thats one of the reasons i want to go with schneider is because they will hire me on at 21 (hopefully), I haven't had any tickets since i've had my class c so im thinking that will help me out in the hiring process.

On a side note, I have had really bad ear problems in my right ear growing up just with ear aches all the time and i went to the doctors today and they said that i have a collapsed ear drum and theres nothing they can do about it and i just have to live with it, and there is no way i can go through a police academy with the way it is now, doesn't really affect my hearing its just more of an annoying thing. So that means no police academy for me. Im trying to convince myself to stay in and finish school i only need 23 more units for my bachelors degree but I just want to get out there and start driving truck already. However, i don't turn 21 until october so maybe its better if i do wait it out and finish school

11. Dieseljunkie

Dieseljunkie Light Load Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Gladstone, OR
    Here is my 2 cents......You can call this stupid all you want but I believe alot about a company by there trucks I see going down the highway. Look at Schneider trucks...beat up, old, spray painted trailers, rusted wheels. Look at Gordon, Somewhat older rigs, no damage, clean nice trailers...you catching my drift? I am a former employee of Gordon and for the most part was an OK company. The one thing that bothered me about them was that they were a little to focused on safety. Not that safety is no important, but thats all it is with them. I got terminated because someone called me in a said I was driving bad. They suspendend me, then fired me on the 4th day. ( ALL OVER THE PHONE AND NO FACE TO FACE) They did not even care about my opinion on what I said to them. So if you want a 60 MPH truck that is 5-6 years old go for it. But other then that they were a great company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.