New Guy--Schneider or Gordon?

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by FluffyGuy, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Jake_1

Jake_1 Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2011

Hey man, no problem at all, I have to be back to work Monday, been on vacation the last two weeks, but I do work local now so am home daily. Like I said, my son just started with Schneider, I don't want to see him hurt from bad advice nor anyone else. If you ever have any questions feel free to message me, I'll get back to you within 24 hours or so. Even though I've been at it for 25 years I don't know everything. I got told when I first started down this path in the 80's by a 40 + year experience veteran driver if I ever thought I knew everything it was time to quit because I was going to kill myself or an innocent bystander with my ignorance. Like I said, I've been out here 25 years and I learn something new everyday. If you do get out here make sure you do your best to keep the shiny side up.

Take Care

Jake

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
    FluffyGuy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    who said anything about a "right gear"? I said that the old way of going down in the same gear as you go up is OUT DATED due to more powerful trucks with better aerodynamics, and the ability to climb in a higher gear. I then also said that I go down in a gear I chose according to my weight and decline of the hill. I guarantee you that you will be in the runaway ramp long before I do.

4. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

i wasnt posting to you, I quoted Jake1

American Trucker

5. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Looks like my name in the quote. :biggrin_25524: :biggrin_25521:

6. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

never mind my bad lol I was talking about your 25yr exp statment...I never said anything about useing the brakes....If you dont use them they wont "burn up" but of course W/S has been doing this for 30+ years training 1000's of drivers how to do this without ANY accidents as far as i know....but of course that makes them wrong just because back in the day it was always said to NEVER take a truck out of gear.....

American Trucker

7. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I rarely take my truck out of gear because I go into it slow enough that I'm usually in a low gear. I dont use my brakes much because I keep my speed within 5 mph of my desired descent speed. If I want to go 55, I'll put it in 9th, kick on the engine brake, and go on down, applying quick light pressure to brakes when I start getting 5 mph over my desired speed. I've gone down numerous large mountains in the west with a light load of 45000lbs, and I stop and check my brakes at the bottom of most, and I have never had a hot hub. :) (yet lol)

However if I DO plan on shifting, I do it with the RPM low enough to take into account the speed increase that gravity will most definately incur, so I don't have any problem getting into the next gear.

8. Jake_1

Jake_1 Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2011
    You're right "Super Trucker", a driver with 25 years hands on experience pulling tank should be dismissed. I have 25 years of real experience driving truck (hazardous material, smoothbore tank to be exact); I don't have 30 years experience running a carrier. That said I'm not giving advice on running a carrier, I'm giving advice for driving for which I'm a Journeyman and I will put my experience up against anyone. Let it be heard, there are a few times you DO NOT what to shift gears.

1) Crossing Railroad Tracks

2) Going down a steep, long grade

3) In a Panic Situation (You know Like going down a steep grade rounding a corner and coming up on stopped traffic).

You told people to downshift coming down a grade, THAT WAS WRONG and will kill people.

I do hope you wise up for your sake and your family’s sake.

I don't want your family to get the phone call, your son was stupid, thought he knew everything and got hurt coming off a hill.

I hold no ill will toward you but please don’t give out any advice until you have at least 10 years real experience under your belt no matter what anyone tells you.

Sometimes things get lost in the translation especially when you are dealing with a Rookie as the middleman

The person you may be giving wrong advice to just might be my rookie son.

Take Care American "Rookie" Trucker

Jake

9. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009
    what a waste of energy.......:biggrin_25513:

:biggrin_2559:

American Trucker

10. FluffyGuy

FluffyGuy Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Fresno, California
    So talked to the guy at the trucking school yesterday and he said if I start trucking school on may 31st I should be done sometime in July, and he can get me a job locally here in Fresno hauling tomatoes. I don't graduate from college until next may so I'm thinking that if I do truck school this summer and maybe get a local job it will let me get a feel for what it's like to be a trucker even though I won't be driving otr I think it would still give me an idea of what it would be like rather than getting hired on with a big company straight out of school and then end up not liking the job. I grew up around trucks though so I think I have a pretty good idea of what its like but I definitely don't know everything. So should I get my cdl this summer and try to find a local job to get my feet wet or wait till after college then get cdl and get hired on with a bigger company?

11. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009
    if you can get a job go for it, but if you dont end up getting a job you'll have to pay for school all over again

American Trucker

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.