New Here questions about TMC

Discussion in 'TMC' started by kavorka58, May 25, 2008.

1. kavorka58

kavorka58 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2008
    Redford,MI
    Well thanks for the update. At this point starting the process at a new MI Works in itself would take several months. When I went last week to MI Works to sign up for the pre tuition program I was told I would have to wait until Sept. But I guess I got lucky because there was a cancellation moments before I got there and I got in that day.
    This is what I found out: That no funds would be released until July 1 and my personal class request could take anywhere up to 90 days.
    I can't wait 4 months to start school.
    Location means everything. Timing means everything. I'm glad it worked out for you. But believe me, if I could get this paid for by the state I would do it in a heartbeat. But it ain't gonna happen for me. Thanks for the input, Good Luck. See ya on the road.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kavorka58

kavorka58 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2008
    Redford,MI
    Thanks for the input. Not too sure what quail-com is, but I get the general idea of what you're saying. Basically it's every man for himself as for finding directions. Do people get scared when you roll down the window and ask for directions :)? When you're in a car I get the feeling it's kind of normal but when you're in a big shiny professional looking truck I think it would be kind of embarrassing and not a good reflection on yourself or the company. But hey I'm a newbie or hope to be, so what do I really know?

4. terrylamar

terrylamar Road Train Member

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I always have thoughts and opinions as I am a very opinionated person!:biggrin_25516: Have you checked into all schools in your area? Especially, Community Colleges. They might take a little longer, four weeks, but they are in the $3,500.00 price range and you get to sleep in your own bed at night.

If your mind is not set on TMC you can always check out other companies that will sponser your CDL School, usually, with some commitment, six months to a year.

Personally, I would try to pay for school out of pocket and get tuition reimbusement. But you gotta do what you gotta do. You can make some good money with TMC and get your load paid off too.

You can transfer your license between states painlessly. Some states will take longer to do so. I would look for a school in my home state. Don't worry if you have to go out of state.

When you find your school, post it in the appropriate forum and see if anyone has any opinions on it.

5. michiganmaddman

michiganmaddman Bobtail Member

May 26, 2008
    Chesterfield, Michigan
    im pretty sure us trucker training in detroit or clinton twp MI is about 4500 give them a call or read the book get ur tip from the sec of state your self go to concentra and get ur dot card that ll bring ur cost down

6. Rob332

Rob332 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Hey Kavorka58,

I reside in Kentucky and ready to start the same school you are referring to, I think. The school name is DELTA Truck Driving School "Mount Sterling", Kentucky. You are correct, the school lasts 17 days and then you are finished. I am working with Vince at the school and tieing up all the loose ends before starting. They try and steer you in the right direction as to who or which company to go with. I have received my pre-hire from T M C they have already completed my entire background MVR, criminal history and employment and faxed me a letter head saying I was 100 % hired with the company.
    When is your start date? I have given my 2 wks notice at my current job and plan to start around the 16th June 2008. i'm looking forward to start this new career as it is something I always wanted to do. I have been reading several of the posts from guys like myself, newbie, and wanting to get started with the best company I can and make the most and also see my family on the weekends.
    I narrowed my search between two company's. and as mentioned above T M C is where I will be going. The other was Roel, I liked there schedules out 7 days, home 4 days then back out another 7 and home 3 days. They dont offer the percentage pay T M C offers. I would have been making in the mid 30's to low 40's based on what my recruiter told me. They also offer a schedule where you are out 7 days and then home 7 days. pay is obviously lower though.

Later,

Rob aka Hammer

7. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    I would advise you guys to make sure which ever school you choose has at a minimum 160 hours of training. Any less will severely limit the companies that will take a look at you. Best of luck to you.:biggrin_25525:

8. Quanman

Quanman Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Loveland, Ohio
    I have some questions I was wondering if you could PM me since I am too new to send you a PM. I would like to ask you some questions about TMC. Thanks, Quanman

9. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I don't know how to IM. Use AOL.

10. terrylamar

Oct 8, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I checked the FAQ's and in theory I know how to send PM's, but there are no buttons or other options to send PM's. It is either missing or I am blind.

11. Quanman

Quanman Bobtail Member

Apr 29, 2008
    Loveland, Ohio
    Sign in and go to where it says Welcome Terrylamar and send a Private Message.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.