New HOS....yep

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by Evil_E, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Evil_E

Evil_E Heavy Load Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Dexter,MI
    Yep I'm going there....
    I have been praying that they would somehow wake up and scrap the 'reform' of our HOS. At the very least do some research to determine weather the new rules are actually going to improve "safety". Some non-elected desk jockey that has never seen the inside of a truck telling the world that he(she) has the solution to driver fatigue.....
    Today, on my trip home I couldn't help but think about all the trucks Maverick has down in NLR. I know some of them needed replaced and refilled because of turnover. Then it hit me....Maverick is preparing to put MORE trucks on the road...why?
    Because weather you want to admit it or not we will all be seeing a drop in productivity starting July 1st. Caused mainly by the new limit of one 34 hour restart per 7 days. In other words, one good week followed by one bad week. Or, endless weeks with fewer miles...Or less hours worked/available per day
    Did anyone else get the MMS today about recruiting giving away (drawing) iPad's for driver leads? Tells me they are either expecting mass driver exodus during the month of July or they need "meat in da seat" as someone once said.

In response to the new HOS I will taking a one week protest (vacation) for the first week of July. As I celebrate this great country's day of Independence, I will partake in many-a adult beverages and smoke the finest Phillip-Morris products money can buy. And the only steel I will be handling will be iron that is meant for the feet of horses whilst I hurl said object toward a sand pit....

Comments? Concerns?

:biggrin_2552:

Rigbuilder Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Newbeav Newbie

Newbeav Newbie Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Yes, I can't wait to get stuck behind trucks taking their 30 min break at the fuel pump. As you said, this is some inane crap invented by politicians to make themselves look good.

4. Evil_E

Evil_E Heavy Load Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Dexter,MI
    Most of steering wheel holders that will be doing that already take 30+ minutes now so....nothing too new there

Busasamurai, seawheeler and Joetro Thank this.
  5. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i don't really see the 34 thing being that big a deal. we can only take one. so what. we're still sitting around somewhere not burning up hours. not big deal.

do i think it's the brightest thing. NOPE. but it won't be as bad as everyone makes it. if you really think about it.

the stupid thing would really be those hours we now have to deal with just to satisfy that 34.

hotrod1018 Thanks this.
  6. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    I think that alot of Drivers(myself included) are just going to have to get used to doing a recap instead of the restart. When I ran OTR(and when I do again) I usually average 12-13 hours a day because my carrier did many 400-600 mileish loads that delivered the next day-day and a half so the clock was always ticking. There will be some growing pains and the industry will adjust. OOIDA and some others ares till in court over it.

jxu417 Thanks this.
  7. Evil_E

Evil_E Heavy Load Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Dexter,MI
    That's the way we run generally at Maverick. Run hard all week then go home and restart on the weekend, next week do it all over again. It's nice to not have to worry about your 70 all week. I personally, bump my 14 on a daily basis. If all I had to do was drop and hook it would be different. I can run recap but like Snowwy said, when running recap you usually end up running odd hours. Odd hours tend to make me MORE fatigued.....middle of the day one day, then middle of the night the next

8. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2009
    The restart thing will have no effect on me at all...but that #### 30 minute break thing is gonna be a pain in the ###...timing it is gonna be more trouble than its worth.

9. CaptainX3

CaptainX3 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    I've been at Mav for 14 months now and have only taken 4 restarts. I'm used to running on the recap. And there are days when I would KILL for a 30 minute break that no one could jump me about so I can eat a decent lunch. My main issue is the time frame for restarts. None of that makes any sense, other than to confuse new drivers in order to generate income from violations.

10. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Where did you come up with this " non-elected " stuff ? It was the late Frank Lautenberg (D , NJ ) that wasted no time in 2009 jumping in to demand a " review" of HOS . I'm not supposed to say where the money came from to motivate him to do this . Are you really naive enough to think safety has anything to do with why new regulations are proposed ?
    If you think taking the first week of July off is going to do some good go ahead . If you get enough Maverick drivers to do so shippers needing to call other carriers to move loads that week may just stick with those other carriers .

truckinmike1984 Thanks this.
  11. CaptainX3

CaptainX3 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    It's not about safety. If it was, they'd be regulating the Class C drivers, not us. 86% of all truck accidents are caused by 4 wheelers. And that's a government study.

It's about the money. Always has been, always will be. It's a competition to see who can rip who off the most, and I for one am tired of the government winning all the time :)

TreeStand and misterG Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.