New lease purchase driver having mechanical issues

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by kevinbarcusprior, Apr 22, 2024.

1. kevinbarcusprior

kevinbarcusprior Bobtail Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Hello,
    I have been a lease purchase driver at Bay and Bay for around a month. My truck has been in the shop more than I have been able to drive it. Currently the biggest issue it is having is a battery light and alarm that keeps going off. Bay and Bay's mechanics changed a battery and thought it was good to go. I ended up taking to Kenworth in Columbia, SC because the alarms got worse in the mountains. They had the truck for a couple of weeks and said they couldn't replicate the alarms and problems. I requested them to change the batteries and they did. They replaced a jumper cable as well and I left with the truck last week and the alarms started up again. Bay and Bay told me to give it a few days and hopefully the truck cycles through the alarms and it goes away. It has not. It seems to be worse when I am loaded on any hills and it goes off going up and down the hill especially with the engine brakes on. The truck seems to think the batteries have no voltage when they aren't losing voltage according to my voltage readings. The truck shuts off my inverter randomly and even turns off lights. It has turned off the lights on my dashboard when I was at a customer during the night. I have a video of the alarm and the picture of the battery light that comes on. I am not sure what to do. I may have to take the truck in again. I am going to keep losing money if I have to keep taking it in. Does anyone have any ideas on what is causing the alarms to go off?

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    Model and miles? Any codes? What is the voltage on the dash showing when the light goes on? Check the connections at the starter and alternator. Make sure they are tight and no corrosion. I would also have the alternator tested, a quick and easy test on the truck. Check all the wiring, it may be that the wiring rubbed through somewhere. I would not go back to that dealer. Some of what I suggested you can do yourself. In some vehicles the alternator is controlled by a module/ECM so could also be computer related. Go to a shop that specializes in electrical problems.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.