New lifestyle

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Rookie0510, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Sapphire Sun

Sapphire Sun Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Rookie0510, have you set your class yet? I am starting mine this coming Tuesday and am about the same boat as you! I am a female and I am TIRED of working the same admin/office jobs, I am too much of a gypsy and staring at the same walls...and computer screen....and faces... for 8 hours a day + YEARS has just worn itself out! Keep us updated as to how things are going for you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rookie0510

Rookie0510 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2013
    I haven't started my classes yet. I have to wait for my birthday and then call my recuriter back to get more details on what I have to have completed before going to the academy. I think I will have to have my permit, physical and the online class work completed. I'm nervous because its a big step for a young person but it's something I want to do and make a career out of it.
    I want to succeed at what I'm doing and failure is not an option at all. But I'm afraid that I might let the nerves get the best of me and I will fail which has crossed my mind a lot.
    But anyways back to the topic. I have to wait for my birthday because I'm not 23 yet.
    My birthday is on Tuesday then I will call my recuriter back and talk over the details like I stated earlier.
    By the way my recuriter is a very nice lady. We talked on the phone for around 10 minutes the first time I called her. She broke everything down for me and answered every question I threw her way. One question she didn't know the answer to so she transferred me to I guess it was her supervisor and he answered it to the best of his ability then transferred me back to her.
    The question wasn't related to the school yet about HOS.

4. Sapphire Sun

Sapphire Sun Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Well GOOD LUCK and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Keep us posted and I will let you know how things "actually" go when I get through this next week!

5. Rookie0510

Rookie0510 Bobtail Member

May 30, 2013
    Ok. Good luck to you as well. And thank you very much for the happy birthday. Which academy are you going to? The location I mean. And also please keep me updated on the experience and the pace and whatever else you want to share.
    Thank you again. And go show them that it can and will be done :)!

6. Smokeycv

Smokeycv Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Rookie0510.

I am just curious why you have your heart set on Swift??? I went and did some quick research for you on companies that have a CDL school like Swift.

Swift: Meals Provided: NO
    Room Provided: Yes
    Contract obligation: 2 Years
    School: 2-3 Weeks
    Training Pay: $450-500 Week
    Starting Pay: $.25

FFE: Meals Provided: NO
    Contract Obligation: 1 Year
    School: 18 Days
    Training Pay: $450 Week
    Starting Pay: $.29

Prime: Meals Provided: Yes (First week)
    School Duration: 30 Days
    Training Pay: Min $600 Week
    Starting Pay: $.34

Roehl: Meals Provided: No
    Room Provided: NO
    School Duration: 17 Days
    Training pay: $90 Day
    Starting Pay: .28

So those are just a few. If you take an average of 2500 Miles a week and then times whatever the starting pay is you will get a rough idea for Gross Pay per week. If you take out 20% for taxes you can get an idea of your Net per week. That does not include your insurance and paying the company back for school. If you use what I just said you will get $500 week from Swift, $580 week from FFE, $680 from Prime and $560 from Roehl. (Note I did not use also the .5cpm you get from Prime for the small truck)

I honestly wouldn't go with Swift for two reasons the starting pay STINKS and it is a TWO year contract. You leave before that 2 years you are on the hook for the school.

Just food for thought

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    Puppage Thanks this.
  7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    no one forced you guys to stay in a truck holding your pickle for a social life. If you chose to be weird and tried to become the grand champion at pocket pool, it's your fault, not the job. Now go wash your hands before you touch anything that belongs to someone else.

wyldhorses Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.