New logging tool from FMCSA

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by BlkZrx, Oct 6, 2020.

1. BlkZrx

BlkZrx Bobtail Member

Nov 17, 2013
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    But the reg says that neither of the breaks will count against the 14 as long as they total 10 hours. Hmmm.

4. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    It was already noted in the HOS thread that the shorter won't trigger the "deduction" from the 14 hour clock on ELDs till the longer one is done. So you have to mentally adjust it in your head till you take it. So if you do the 3 before the 7 it won't add the 3 hours back to the clock till you do the 7. But both still stop the clock. If you do it the opposite. The 7 will adjust the clock properly.

5. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    I was thinking that that’s how it worked. Luckily, I have no real use for that working where I do.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I hear Omnitracs ELD has button on screen so the ELD know to extend the 14 hour clock. Keeptruckin ELD don't and says you have add to in your head I guess. Unless they changed the program

nredfor88, Roberts450 and gentleroger Thank this.
  7. cluemaster

cluemaster Bobtail Member

May 6, 2016
    If you try to reconstruct day from FMCSA fact sheet into this tool, 14 h clock violation will show up at 2pm, ( as old regulation would say) but it will disappear after you spend 7h in sleeper.

Confusing ...

basically you can be placed out of service after 2pm but violation will disappear after ?!

https://csa.fmcsa.dot.gov/Documents/All_HOS_Fact_Sheets_508.pdf

upload_2020-10-8_12-47-36.png

upload_2020-10-8_12-48-23.png

8. cluemaster

cluemaster Bobtail Member

May 6, 2016
  9. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    I used the 7-3 split sleeper birth the 2nd day of the new HOS rules.

I have an Omnitracs Qualcomm, for what it's worth.

I took a 3 hour and 1 minute break first. My ELD did NOT update my 11 hour and 14 hour clock. I then drove a little over an hour to find parking for the night. My ELD sent an Orange Exclamation point, which is supposed to be like a "warning", that said:

"BeHereNow97 MAY violate a HOS regulation IF the requirements of split off-duty time are not met".

Key words being MAY and IF.

My dispatch freaked out and sent messages asking me why I passed 2 or 3 truck stops after going into violation. I told them I didn't go into violation, that I took a 3 hour break which meant my HOS clock was what it was when I first went into sleeper birth 3 hours prior. I took a picture of what my hours were as soon as I hit sleeper birth during that 3 hour break, so I knew how much time I had left on my clock.

Dispatch tried to argue with me that I committed a violation, I said no. First, the shorter breaks count towards the split sleeper. Second, I didn't get the red exclamation point on my qualcomm where it will say

"BeHereNow97 HAS commited a HOS violation".

I explained that my qualcomm was just WARNING me that if I don't meet the requirements of a split off-duty time, then I'll get an HOS violation. But I DID meet the split off-duty time requirements. So therefore, no violation.

This got taken up to our HOS guy (I don't know his exact job title name), and the HOS guy looked and said that yes, I was right, and I was legal.

Tonight I'm using the 3-7 split sleeper birth once again, but this time I'm taking the 7 hour split first. I will report back whether the qualcomm updates it for the 7 hour rest break, I know it already does for the 8 hour rest break.

Hope this helps. Just be sure to take a picture of what you're HOS are AS SOON AS YOU HIT SLEEPER BIRTH for your 2 or 3 hour break, so you know what your correct HOS will be if you know you're running a split. Because as of now, at least on my Qualcomm Omnitracs, my ELD won't update it automatically.

10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Jj keller does it automatically

11. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    @BeHereNow97 try using the will pair SB button and Im guessing you wont get the orange warning message. 29E4D9C4-66CF-406D-9549-F9A7ED6F39EC.jpeg

BeHereNow97 and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.