New Maverick Driver

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by Erich, May 21, 2010.

1. Erich

Erich Bobtail Member

May 11, 2010
    Murphy, NC
    Hello everyone! I just wanted to let you Maverick drivers know that you are getting a new member to the family. I put my application in on May 7th and it took them till today to get everything approved! I think it was worth the wait though. Maverick seems to have one of the better paying jobs in the industry.

Well here is a little bit of information about me. After I got out of the army, I went to work driving a skateboard for Falcon Transport. 3 months later I left them and went to work for the railroad. CSX decided to lay me off after a year with them so I went to work for a company called Gap Entech (Not the clothing store). Well I got divorced while working for Gap so I decided to move back home to North Carolina in April. I looked for a job for a month and then decided to go back on the road. The trucks I drove at Gap were all straight trucks except for the roll off truck. It had a pintle hook trailer with air brakes. It was almost as long as a semi but it tracked a whole lot different though. It has been almost 3 years since I have driven a tractor trailer so I'm a little nervous but I'm confident I'll do well. The recruiter Paul, asked if it was going to bother me having to go through the student training and I kinda chuckled and said no. I need to get refreshed on flatbedding again. I also found out that they increased the pay today too.:biggrin_255:

I want to give a special thanks to JimTheHut! I have read your adventures and you have inspired me to share my experiences too. It was very helpful to read your stories and you have got me excited about going back to trucking. THANKS!

Well I'll quite boring everyone and close this.:biggrin_25520: Please leave me your advice.

Baack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Hey, good luck Erich! Keep us posted on how it goes!

4. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2009
  5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Jim the hut? That rookie?:biggrin_25523:

6. Erich

Erich Bobtail Member

May 11, 2010
    Murphy, NC
    I found out today that I will be going to NLR on the 30th. I was hoping to go this Sunday, but Paul said that they hired too many people for the number of slots available. Oh well I guess I can wait another week. Kinda makes me wonder though....If they continue to hire like crazy will that cut everyone's mileage down or does that mean that they are getting more freight?

7. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Hiring like crazy...
    It means that quite a few don't last. (know it alls, careless, lazy, won't accept the Maverick way, poor MPG's)

If you're a new driver...you won't have any bad habits to break.

If you're like me and been at it a while it can be an "adjustment"...I'm kinda in the hotseat over my mpg's right now (as are many others) but since the other day I've slowed on down to 58 mph and my mpg's are up to 7.1 so maybe I'll get it figured out.

Part of the reason for my poor MPG's is my #### truck...the other part is my mentality and old habits that I am trying to break (65 mph).

Don't worry Erich...do it their way, be on time, get the MPG's no matter what (at least 6.5), make good decisions, and don't tear up anything...you'll be fine.

8. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    I am glad that you found them useful and look forward to reading about yours!
    Every week is different....and a new adventure.
    Got home at 10 am this morning after leaving the Gary terminal at 3:00 AM
    Can you believe that I had to make my own coffee this morning?
    It was nice to get a shower last night and be able to watch some tv before hitting the rack at 8:00 AM.
    Will be on my way to Pittsburgh early Monday.....
    It sure is great to get home!
    I looked at the list of MPG on everyone while at the terminal.
    To my surprise I had the highest of any one in my class (-:

Have a great week!

Jim

9. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Yes That Rookie!!!!!:smt067

TREE Thanks this.
  10. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Well; if this woman doesn't straighten up soon I may put a application in for her....:biggrin_25522:

11. sewerman

sewerman Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2008
    westville indiana
    wellcome to maverick.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.